VMware Communities
samjegal
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation has stopped working!!

I've updated windows 10 redstone 2 (1703 version, OS Build 15063.13), and vmware workstation 12.5.5 pro reinstalled.

But, it's not working for sometimes with the error message.

pastedImage_0.png

Attached event viewer error log.

pastedImage_1.png

And, reinstall several times vc++ redistributed packages. It's SO frustrated.

39 Replies
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

What did you do before this happens? And when this happens, can you please create a minidump of vmware.exe process before clicking “Close" button? Please attached the dump file here. Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
pseud0
Contributor
Contributor

This happens for me too but I'm not willing to attach the dump file on a forum, is there somewhere else I can place it for you to analyze? It frequently happens when I boot a VM. The VM actually runs and a subsequent launch of the application will connect to the console.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

There are known problems with running on a Windows 10 build 1703 host.

I think you might be able to send a dump file as an attachment to a private message, but note that if you create the dump file from an external tool (e.g. Task Manager), you will need to make sure that you create a 32-bit dump and not a 64-bit one.

0 Kudos
thewul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Any idea when this gonna be fixed?

SnagIt-05062017 053946.png

sigh ...

upon 'repair'

SnagIt-05062017 073114.png

Running Windows 10 x64 (15063.296)

=

0 Kudos
gimmely
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It's hard to say if your issue is/has the same cause(s) as the original reported one, because you didn't provide any detail in one way or another.

Besides this, a couple of generic suggestions:

1. try Workstation v12.5.6;

2. try to complete un-install Workstation, then clean up file system/registry, then reboot the host, then install v12.5.6, instead of using "repair".

If you have to stick with Windows 10 Creator Update and an earlier version of Workstation, you might be out of luck.

0 Kudos
thewul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. Well, indeed the only solution was/is to re-install it.

Note that v12.5.6  was running.

Anyway, after install the matter was solved. At least.. sofar.

That said, I wonder how the below works, i.e. could that be the cause?

I have a Windows 10 x64 VM, 'basic', i.e. with only a few basic things, like another browser, security software and one or two tools.

Based on this 'base' VM I have created added some programs and saved that as a different VM (different name)

so like

Windows - base

Windows - with applications

There is only 1 'tab' (Windows 10)

but I could switch from the base to the other with applications (from VM dropdown menu in the top toolbar)

Wonder whether this is correct.

Got the impression that somewhere between this 'switching' things went wrong today.

Installed a 2nd VM using a different license key now - to avoid possible conflicts.

=

0 Kudos
gimmely
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I suggest you open another post/thread for the new/different question.

0 Kudos
pseud0
Contributor
Contributor

I've generated a dump file by attaching to the vmware.exe process with windbg (x86) when Windows displays the 'Close program' dialog and then issuing .dump

I can't see any way to attach a file to a PM, I've placed it on my OneDrive so I can share a link but when I tried to PM you I just got a red banner at the foot of the browser.

​I've subsequently noticed that his only happens when the display adapter in the VM has 3D graphics enabled.

​Happy to provide further info if needed

0 Kudos
munrobasher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Just another "me too" post... Don't recall it happening before creators edition and/or latest VWS.

0 Kudos
MrRic
Contributor
Contributor

Yesterday, Tuesday, June 13th, Microsoft did updates to both 1703 and to 1607.  (My work laptop is on 1607 and my home tower is on 1703.)

Yesterday I had Window 10 v1607 with VMWare Workstation 12.5.5.  After updates, my VM's wouldn't boot in Player.  I updated Workstation to 12.5.6 and got same result.  Thought that it was a problem inside the VM, so moved them to non solid state and tried repairs, then moved back.  Today, I can open them in Workstation, but Player comes to same black screen you're getting.  Found the "Unity Mode" icon has "can't do this" slash across it and when I click on it I get this message:

pastedImage_0.png

It doesn't matter how long you wait, Tools never starts up.  And because of this, you never get past the black screen thus you can do nothing ever inside the VM.

I'm going to try the full uninstall, registry cleanup, and install of Workstation.  I run multiple VMs and need Player to work.

UPDATE - Wed, June 14th:

This seems to have fixed my Win 7 guest VMs but my XP SP3 guests are still failing to complete boot.  You can hear the windows start sound, and at least all the player icons don't grey out like yesterday.  When they fail, I crash (via host Task Manager) the XP3 VMs, then I'm able to restore running VM in Workstation (looks like restoring a paused VM, but faster).  I've did that to 3 different XP SP3 guest VMs.

These are all VMs that were running just fine on Monday!

Here is one of the VMware.log files on one that is in the middle of starting up and appears to be stuck on a black screen: Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.

UPDATE:  The VMs actually startup, but it seems that the video in Player has been compromised.  The group I work in has several variations in where various updates are at.  It appears one needs to go to the 1703 prior to getting the June 13th 1607 updates, and stay on Workstation v12.5.5 or not do the June 13th 1703 updates (there is ways to actually turn off Windows Update).

For the second day in a row, I'm starting out by restoring my OS drive to my 5/22 backup so that I can actually work for the day.

0 Kudos
munrobasher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

This appears to be getting worse 😞 Workstation has crashed several times today already. Very recent Windows updates yesterday:

KB4922725

KB4022405

KB4022730

Cheers, Rob.

0 Kudos
thewul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yep, same here.

With me, it seems to happen more frequently when restoring a Windows 10 x64.
Say, when running one version of Windows and then switch to another. In the past this wasn't issue.

=

SnagIt-15062017 112035.png

=

0 Kudos
munrobasher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Workstation 12.5.7 Pro for Windows  has just been released. Release notes don't give much details - just says bug fixes. Hope this is one of the fixes.

0 Kudos
Mike57
Contributor
Contributor

I've got a crash every time I restart a VM. I cannot take ownership.

0 Kudos
kRc2k5
Contributor
Contributor

No, this doesn't fix it. I can't believe that still fail after than 2 months.

0 Kudos
kRc2k5
Contributor
Contributor

Delete .lck folders and try again.

0 Kudos
thewul
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

The "VMware Workstation (v12.5.7) has stopped working" is like this..

=

=

However,one way or the other, the VM still remains active in the taskbar.

In fact, one can actually switch to the open VM, after the has stopped working error..

Weird..

=

SnagIt-26062017 134211.png

=

=

0 Kudos
munrobasher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mine seems a bit more stable since v17.5.7 but I must admit I've been busy elsewhere the last few days so haven't used WS as much as normal.

0 Kudos
munrobasher
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Spoke too soon - crashed restoring a previously paused VM.

0 Kudos