VMware Communities
CB15
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation Pro 16.2.3 suspends VMs

VMware is running on a Win 10 Pro 21H1 host.

The VM OS is Win 10 21H2 Enterprise LTSC.

The VM gets suspended at some indeterminate interval:
- When the host's screensaver kicks in and locks the host - sometimes
- When the VM's screensaver kicks in and locks the VM - sometimes
- When the VM is idle for some <long enough> amount of time - always
    - No idea what <long enough> is
- When the VM is not locked, merely sitting idle -- twice now

It's bad enough that it is seems utterly unpredictable -- is there a setting somewhere to control this? - but it is made worse when the VPN we use in all our VMs is disconnected.  After waiting for the VM to resume I have to get the token generator and connect to the VPN, and that gets pretty tedious the 3rd or 4th time I have to do it the same day.

How can I fix this behavior?

Would reinstalling 16.2.2 solve this?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hopefully a moderator will move your thread now that I have reported it, there is an area dedicated to Workstation Pro rather than the thread sitting in some random generic area like it does currently.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
CB15
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, I'll try to find that area....

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Once your thread has been moved you won't need to - please don't create a duplicate.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Just an idea ...
Try to use a "never go to sleep" energy safing plan inside the VM.

0 Kudos
CB15
Contributor
Contributor

Somehow I got this behavior to stop on 16.2.3,

It came back with the installation of 16.2.4.

Does anyone know where the setting to control this behavior -- frequent automatic moving to the 'paused' state -- can be found?

Thanks for any insights --

0 Kudos