VMware Communities
Noel
Expert
Expert

VMware Workstation 7.1.3 no longer functional (at all) on Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty) -- FIXED IN WS 7.1.4.

CURRENT STATUS: Fixed in Workstation 7.1.4.

Original:

After today's updates, which include the new X server (based on 1.10 RC2, I believe), VMware Workstation 7.1.3 no longer runs at all.  Attached are the logs, which are less than informative without the source code.

FIRST UPDATE: There is a posted workaround from VMware.  I have attached vmware.sh containing the workaround.

Updated to reflect workaround.

0 Kudos
34 Replies
Splatt325
Contributor
Contributor

Doesn't work for me either...

0 Kudos
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It's not the X server changes that caused this, but rather the version of Gtk that just got put into 11.04. As the UI stack trace shows, it's a problem in Glib::OptionGroup. We have resolved the problem internally and this will be addressed in an upcoming release. Thanks for the bug report!

0 Kudos
stef31
Contributor
Contributor

That's a good news. Do you know when the new version will be available ? Or maybe a patch exists or a workaround ?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I can't say when the new version would be available, sorry. As far as a workaround... you could try doing:

export VMWARE_USE_SHIPPED_GTK=force

vmware

to see if that forces the shipped version of Gtk, which hopefully will not have the problem?

0 Kudos
tsuther
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but that does not appear to work. I get the same result - an apparent segfault.

0 Kudos
vanRijn
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Blef, yeah, I just talked to an internal guy who said it wouldn't work but that there might be something you could do with LD_PRELOAD, but he wants to try it out first before suggesting it. Hope to have something for you by end of day! =:)

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

So I am having problems reproducing your issue, but that may be because I can't update 11.04 since they have broken.  But try this and let me know if it works or blows everything up...

$ export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0/libglib-2.0.so.0

$ vmware

0 Kudos
ayates
Contributor
Contributor

The "ld_preload"  fixes vmplayer on an up-to-date ubuntu natty.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
tsuther
Contributor
Contributor

Excellent!  That seems to have done the trick (although the window decorations are quite ugly on my system).

So...

1) Patch the workstation source with the attached script or a better one. ***BEWARE*** I have hacked the script to work with 2.6.38 - it's probably wrong.

2) Run "export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/vmware/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0/libglib-2.0.so.0"

3) run vmware.

0 Kudos
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Noe;

In regards to the Ubuntu developer I did in fact find the his statement on the forums

It's not the X server changes that caused this, but rather the version of Gtk that just got put into 11.04. As the UI stack trace shows, it's a problem in Glib::OptionGroup. We have resolved the problem internally and this will be addressed in an upcoming release. Thanks for the bug report!

Marty

Marty Felker
0 Kudos
Noel
Expert
Expert

Marty,

I see the message(s) now.  But he is a VMware developer, not an Ubuntu developer.  🙂

I've got it working with the posted workaround.  Will update the thread top.

0 Kudos
martyfelker
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

He just noticed there was a problem?? Well when you post your fix I wiill try it. I have other things going on in my "real" life but I do have Natty updated as of today and the video (I have an ancient nVidia Geforce 6150 nfForce 430) works on Ubuntu safe mode , Ubuntu Classic and KDE Plasma Workspace. Haven't tried the other modes yet because for one thing I really don't like the lnew Unity desktop.

Thanks as always.

Marty

Marty Felker
0 Kudos
sandkh
Contributor
Contributor

Hello again.  I tried this workaround after installing Workstation 7.1.4 on the final realease of Ubuntu 11.04 64 bit.  It works, but it appears that I need to do this each time after closing Workstation.  Once it gave me an odd color scheme on a Windows 7 32 bit VM too.  Is there something I should be doing to apply a more permanent solution?

0 Kudos
FairTaxBill
Contributor
Contributor

When installing 7.1.4 with Ubuntu 11.04 x64, I get the proper Workstation icon for Launcher. Opening the program give me the usual application window allowing me to choose the VM that I would like to use. Everything looks good at this point. The problem lies in that when I open a VM, the app crashes. Repeatedly. Here is the kernel and Linux version:

Linux capri 2.6.38-8-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 11 03:31:24 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Uncertain how to proceed with 7.1.4 at this point, despite the quality thread for this topic. May just go back to 7.1.3 and try the three step fix??

0 Kudos
FairTaxBill
Contributor
Contributor

See a new thread. Will move to that topic. Thanks...

0 Kudos