VMware Communities
etrogneux
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation 15.5 Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error

The premature end "Rolling back action:" is reported in other discussions, and I couldn't find a solution until now.

The steps I've followed are:
a. I updated my Windows 7 (64-bit) with Windows update

b. I uninstalled VC++ 2015-2019 Redistribution packages

c. I uninstalled and removed all previous VMware software, files and registry entries

d. I uninstalled and removed all previous hcmon software, files and registry entries

e. I fixed the hcmon driver issue using the EnableHCMON registry entry fix

f. I install VMware Workstation 15.5 and it fails rolling back the install, with no explicit reasons

Please find attached the corresponding installation log file.

In vmmsi log file, I found:

Action 20:31:36: VM_InstallVmmon. Installing the vmx driver.

MSI (s) (74:C0) [20:31:36:684]: Executing op: CustomActionSchedule(Action=VM_InstallVmmon,ActionType=3073,Source=BinaryData,Target=VMInstallVmmon,CustomActionData=5;Win7)

MSI (s) (74:FC) [20:31:36:684]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIACDC.tmp, Entrypoint: VMInstallVmmon

CustomAction VM_InstallVmmon returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)

Action ended 20:31:36: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
yanw
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi, Would you please try below workaround?

Step1: Cancel Workstation installation or Uninstall Workstation

Step2: Delete all files under %TEMP% directory

Step3: Open "cmd" as administrator, and execute "sc stop vmx86 & sc delete vmx86"

Step4: Delete files "C:\Windows\System32\drivers\vmx86.sys" if has

Step5: Goto c:\windows\system32\drvstore, delete folder which prefix by "vmx86", general the folder name should be vmx86_{guid}

Step5: Open cmd as Administrator, cd to your folder that contains the installer package and run “VMware-workstation-full-xxxxx.exe /r”

Step6: Reboot host and then install Workstation again

0 Kudos
PoomPat
Contributor
Contributor

It did not work for me

I use Windows 10 2004 build 19041.388

0 Kudos
Daniel_Paul
Contributor
Contributor

I had the same issue and the solution was a faulty entry in the Network Providers list.

Go to Start, type ncpa.cpl in the search field, and press Enter. Then press Alt to show the menu bar, and click Advanced > Advanced Settings

In the Network Provider List was an error message: "Failed to get network providers"

The network provider order is stored in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\ProviderOrder

For each entry in this list must exist an approciate entry under

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

for example:
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\RDPNP\NetworkProvider

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\NetworkProvider

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\WebClient\NetworkProvider

For me there was an additional entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\ProviderOrder named "N" I have no glue where it was from.

After removing the entry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\ProviderOrder and editing the key PROVIDERORDER under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\Order and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider\HwOrder so that "N" was not in the list anymore, I was able to list network providers in ncpa.cpl again and afterwards the installation of VMware Workstation Pro runs without issues.

Perhaps this helps somebody saving some hours troubleshooting 🙂

0 Kudos