VMware Communities
TonyBerry
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Workstation 10: CentOS Host Passthrough USB to Windows 7 Guest

Clean, recent, install of CentOS 6.5 Final as Host and Windows 7 64 bit as Guest on Dell OptiPlex 7010 workstation. The USB device is a Kingston DTSE9 USB 2.x drive and I have tried the device in 2.x and 3.x USB ports on the workstation.

When the device is plugged in, while viewing the CentOS (Host) desktop, it is recognized and operates normally. I can see the files on the USB drive and there are no errors.

When the device is plugged in, while viewing the Windows (Guest) desktop, there is no indication that the drive has been inserted. No Windows system tray pop-up, nothing in Disk Management, no errors in Event Log. When I view the VM -> Removable Devices -> Kingston it shows Disconnect (Connect to Host). If I do that, it correctly mounts to the Host and works as expected. If I go back and Connect the device again, nothing happens within Windows.

I've tried multiple brands and sizes of USB drives and they all behave in the same manner. Obviously I have rebooted both the Host and the Guest several times to no avail.

Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
0 Replies