VMware Communities
twsnnva
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Tools skipping X drivers

Hello,
I am trying to install VMware Tools on a Linux Mint Debian Edition guest. With a clean install, I am left unable to login to Cinnamon as it complains there is no 3D acceleration. When trying to build VMware Tools, I get the following message:
Detected X server version 1.11.4
Distribution provided drivers for Xorg X server are used.
Skipping X configuration because X drivers are not included.
I then removed xserver-xorg-video-vmware, restarted the VM and tried running the install script again, only to recieve the same message.
The last time I used a VMware product was before VMware modules were included with distributions, and all of the modules were compiled when running the tools install script. This is what I would prefer to do anyway, to ensure I am using the latest VMware Tools. Is there a way to force the script to build the X module with 3D acceleration? I saw another thread about this a few posts up - certainly I don't have to use git to grab the sources and manually compile stuff? Finally, does anyone know why the script states "Distribution provided drivers for Xorg X server are used." even after I have removed them? Thank you.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
vm_George
Contributor
Contributor

I am having the same issue with VMware Workstation 10 and Debian Wheezy and Linux Mint.

if you run xrandr it also fails.

Let us know if anyone learns the answer, please.

0 Kudos
wjwj
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, VMware Tools does not include the 3D driver any more.

Typically, OpenGL 3D driver is included in Linux distro. Regarding the installation component, etc, please refer to this link http://www.mesa3d.org/vmware-guest.html.

Hope this is helpful for you!

0 Kudos
vm_George
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, Gave this a try, but the installation did not go as per the instructions;

Instead of the result giving

OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.

OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on SVGA3D; build: RELEASE;

OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.0

The installation gave;

# glxinfo | grep OpenGL

OpenGL vendor string: VMware, Inc.

OpenGL renderer string: Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe (LLVM 0x209)

OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 8.0.4

OpenGL shading language version string: 1.20

OpenGL extensions:

Also Linux Mint did reported no 3D graphics.

0 Kudos