VMware Communities
psi
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Tools not working on Workstation 10

I recently upgraded from Workstation 8 to Workstation 10.

I have updated VMware Tools in my VM, and now, when I double click on the VM icon in the system tray I just get the about dialog.  Right-clicking on the VM icon in the system tray brings up a menu with three option, "About VMware Tools", "Disable Icon" and "Exit".

Also, there is nothing in Control Panel for VMware Tools.

How do I get the VMware Tools window to come up like it used to.  For example, I can no longer get to the Shrink option because I cannot get the VMware Tools window to show up.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mfelker
Expert
Expert

VMware Tools has changed significantly from v 8 to 10.  There no longer is a GUI.  However all the operations you could do with the GUI interface you can now perform from the commandline.

In the VM look for /usr/bin/vmware-toolbox-cmd in  a Linux VM or c:\"program files"\vmware\"Vmware Tools"\vmwaretoolboxcmd exe in a Windows VM.  If you run these programs with the help option after the command name you will get a list of the same operations you had with the GUI version. I used to think this was a regression but don't anymore (perhaps because I'm more comfortable.with the command line).

You may wish to refer to https://pubs.vmware.com/vsphere-50/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.vmware.vmtools.install.doc%2FGUID-009A09B7...

While this documentation is for vShere it is identical to Ws.

0 Kudos
psi
Contributor
Contributor

Ugh!

Thanks for the response, I'll investigate in the morning, but I'm confused about why they needed to remove the GUI.

This is an 'upgrade'?  Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

That question was unanswered during the technical preview.  Somebody from VM said they  were  working on but it didn't plan out.  You can  enable time sync the VMware>Settings>Options tab if you wish.

In any event. like I said, having to use tools from the commndline improved my competencies so I myself am happy.  Others will certainly disagree.

Bottom line.  You can ask but they won't tell:smileylaugh:

0 Kudos