VMware Communities
Tharos
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Tools Won't Install In Free-BSD.

When trying to install VMware Tools in the latest Free-BSD the following message appears in the Terminal:

"This configuration program is to be executed in a virtual machine. Execution aborted. Bad system call (core dumped)"

Seen as my BSD installation "is" in a Virtual Machine where does one go from here?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

What version of FreeBSD do you have?

Do you follow instructions provided on Pages 130-131 in

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/ws6_manual.pdf

0 Kudos
Tharos
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Peter,

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I haven't been in touch sooner, but the website seems to have been down for maintainance over the weekend.

The version of FreeBSD I'm installing is the latest download, 7.0. I followed the instructions in the manual, everything went ok right until the last moment and that's when the error message appeared. I've installed VMware Tools in an earlier release of FreeBSD without any problems; so, I really can't understand what's going wrong in this instance.

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

According to the latest GuestOS_guide.pdf , FreeBSD 7.0 is not supported by any VMware virtualization platform (Server, Workstation, Player, ESX/VI).

So there might be no VMware Tools for it.

0 Kudos
Tharos
Contributor
Contributor

That probably explains it. Thanks for pointing that bit of info out to me as it wasn't something I was aware of. Back to using my earlier BSD.

0 Kudos