VMware Communities
BassKozz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMware Causing Keyboard Issues in Ubuntu

Well, this issue has been going on for a long time now, but I wasn't sure it was a VMware issue up until recently (I thought it was my KVM, then I thought it was the Keyboard, Then I thought it was Ubuntu... But nope it's a VMware issue), and I was hoping VMware or Ubuntu would've come out with a fix for this, but unfortunately I haven't seen any changes.

So the problem is that after running VMware my keyboard (at random intervals) starts demonstrating odd behavior. For Example; The "Shift", "CTRL", "ALT", "CAPS LOCK" keys stop working all together, and when I am on an Ubuntu window as soon as I type in a character the window will close itself, and the only way to (temporarily) remedy the issue is to go to Applications => Other => Keyboard Layout (in Ubuntu) and reset the keyboard layout. This will only temporarily fix the issue until it happens again. I haven't been able to pin point an exact time frame on when this occurs because it is so random. My thinking is that because I am on a Dual Monitor Display setup and the VMware tools are installed on both machines (some times I run multiple VM's at the same time and switch back and forth between them on my dual monitors), there might be a conflict there, while I am switching back and forth by gliding my mouse from one monitor to another if they are both running VM's with VMtools installed. I haven't tried uninstalling VMtools on the VM's yet, but that will be my next shot-in-the-dark, unless I can get some feedback here.

Also I have documented this on Ubuntu's Forums:

SCIM / Keyboard Layout Issues

Broken Shift & CAPS LOCK keys - SCIM

My KVM Breaks Input Devices

Any/All feedback will be greatly appreciated,

-BassKozz

---

VMware Workstation v6.0.4 build-93057

Host OS: Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit

--- VMware Workstation v6.5.0 build-118166 Host OS: Ubuntu 8.10 64-bit
29 Replies
RuralRob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

See also this thread:

Shift key (and caps lock) stop working when using VMWare

This bug is happening on many different distros, Gnome and KDE, 32-bit and 64-bit, and various hardware configurations. The two things common to all of them are VMware (Workstation, Player, or Server) and Xorg 7.3. This seems to be some kind of bad interaction between the two, when VMware is grabbing or releasing control of the mouse and keyboard. Older distros running Xorg 7.2 don't seem to have the problem.

andy_t1
Contributor
Contributor

i was about to dump kubuntu due to the below, which has sufficiently p'ss]d me off now. i have tried gutsy, hardy and feisty on an amd64 with both workstation6 and 6.5 but all the same thing.

can anyone confirm whether the same thing happens in ubuntu server lts or rhle5 because these distros are supposed to be 100 percent supported

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

Read this doc to find out what IS supported.

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/GuestOS_guide.pdf

0 Kudos
andy_t1
Contributor
Contributor

Excellent document, thanks Peter. I have been looking for a support matrix guide for ages, but in all honesty have been struggling somewhat. I find the site a little tricky to navigate and find anything. I'm also fairly frustrated with the design of the members login area, but that's another story Smiley Happy

Do you happen to know if there is an equivalent document for the supported host systems? or is it the same?

0 Kudos
Peter_vm
Immortal
Immortal

For supported host systems you have to look at admin manuals and product release notes.

There is no single, up-to-date document on that.

0 Kudos
BassKozz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks RuralRob,

I read the whole thing, and it seems to all come down to VMware tools as the culprit. Some people have completly disabled VMware Tools and the issue has gone away, however, I am using a Dual-Monitor setup, so it wouldn't be prudent to disable VMware tools (as I am running 2 instances of WinXP 1 on each monitor, and I switch back-and-forth by simply moving my mouse from one monitor/VM to the other).

Any idea on if/when VMware might fix this issue?

p.s. I also found this thread on the issue:

0 Kudos
RuralRob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't think it's the VMware Tools that are causing the problem, so much as they expose the real issue, which is the automatic releasing of the mouse and keyboard when the cursor leaves the VM window. Without the tools installed, the automatic release isn't supported, so it never gets a chance to cause the problem.

We've got threads going in VMware and Unbuntu forums, but I think we also need to start one in the X-org support forum. I did a quick search in there and I don't see anything about this problem.

0 Kudos
BassKozz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I don't think it's the VMware Tools that are causing the problem, so much as they expose the real issue, which is the automatic releasing of the mouse and keyboard when the cursor leaves the VM window. Without the tools installed, the automatic release isn't supported, so it never gets a chance to cause the problem.

We've got threads going in VMware and Unbuntu forums, but I think we also need to start one in the X-org support forum. I did a quick search in there and I don't see anything about this problem.

Not so sure about that... People have reported on Launchpad that so long as they don't display thier VM in FullScreen Mode (i.e. Keep the VM running in a window) the problem doesn't occur, even with VMware Tools installed. But as soon as one starts to display the VM in FullScreen Mode the issues arise. That seems to be leaning more towards a VMware Tools issue rather then X-org?

I could be wrong here thou...

0 Kudos
RuralRob
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I only use the quick-switch UI mode, never full screen, and I get the issue there. So far I've never seen it happen in the "normal" UI mode, but it definitely happens in quick-switch.

0 Kudos
BassKozz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I guess we just gotta sit and wait this one out...

Hopefully someone from VMware, Linux, or X-Org fixes this problem soon 😐

0 Kudos
ager-wick
Contributor
Contributor

This is a crosspost with comment 127 and 128 here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/source/linux/bug/195982

I did this crosspost because I have discovered very specific steps on how to reproduce the issue that might be important for debugging. I will also be able to test patches or provide more information to interested parties.

Yet another report, but I can reproduce it and have some interesting observations.

HP Compaq nx6325 running Kubuntu Hardy (8.04) running KDE3

uname -a:

Linux 2.6.24-18-generic #1 SMP Wed May 28 19:28:38 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

VMware Server 1.0.6 build-91891

xserver-xorg 1:7.3+10ubuntu10

xserver-xorg-core 2:1.4.1~git20080131-1ub

(by the way, you can get the above from the command "dpkg -l")

graphics card: ATI Radeon

driver: ati

Interestingly I also had the issue on this machine running Dapper and VMware server a year ago, which I guess rules out xserver 7.3. It disappeared when I stopped using VMWare. At that time I though it was triggered by excessive memory usage, as I only had 1GB but now I have 3GB and only using just over 2.

I believe my old setup was VMware-server-1.0.5-80187 and Kubuntu Dapper (6.06?) i386 (not AMD64). The old setup compiled perfectly, both vmware host and tools.

On my current setup I had to apply vmware-any-any-update117 to get the VMware host to compile, and open-vm-tools-2008.04.14-87182 to get the VMware tools to compile. I had the issue both before and after I got VMware tools properly installed.

I also have the annoying keyboard auto-repeat issue (while typing in the VM, sometimes (or, quite often actually) your keystrokes will be repeated).

steps to reproduce:

NOTE: I have put a lot of time into reproducing exactly the steps needed. The following is the bare minimum of what I need to do to reproduce it. Anything else is irrelevant (in my case). For example, it works fine if I switch to full screen without first clicking inside the VM.

- have a vm running

- switch to vmware

- move the mouse into and click inside the vm

- press ctrl-alt-enter to make it full screen

- press ctrl-alt to revert back to windowed mode

now the problem is there:

ctrl and caps/num/scroll lock does not work

the alt key, including alt-tab works, but when pressing alt-tab it does not release the alt key, meaning i have to press any other key, or tab without alt, to actually switch to another program. It's like I am till holding the alt key.

I do not however have the unstability issue. I can continue running anything I want, so it's easy for me to test various proposed solutions.

Note: I can not reproduce it by holding the ctrl key while moving the mouse from the guest to the host

both of these methods can be used as workaround, reverting the effect of the issue:

- running setxkbmap

- running System Settings - Regional & Language - then selecting Enable keyboard layouts and applying the changes (or if it's already enabled, disable it - apply - then enable and apply)

Interesting things from /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Generic Keyboard"

Driver "kbd"

Option "XkbRules" "xorg"

Option "XkbModel" "pc105"

Option "XkbLayout" "gb"

EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier "Configured Video Device"

EndSection

When it's working fine, I get this output from xmodmap:

xmodmap: up to 2 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift Shift_L (0x32), Shift_R (0x3e)

lock Caps_Lock (0x42)

control Control_L (0x25), Control_R (0x6d)

mod1 Alt_L (0x40), Meta_L (0x9c)

mod2 Num_Lock (0x4d)

mod3

mod4 Super_L (0x7f), Hyper_L (0x80)

mod5 Mode_switch (0x5d), ISO_Level3_Shift (0x7c)

When it's buggy, I get this output:

xmodmap: up to 1 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift

lock

control

mod1

mod2

mod3

mod4

mod5

As I can easily reproduce it, anyone with ideas are encouraged to suggest them, and I will try it to see it if will solve the issue.

Another observation:

It can also be reproduced this way:

click inside the VM

hold any of Shift, Ctrl or Alt keys down while moving the mouse out of the VM window

Note: If I switch to the VM by simply alt-tabbing to it, then pressing Ctrl-Alt-Enter to full screen it, then Crtl-Alt to release, I do not get this problem. It only occurs when I:

1. Click inside the VM and

2. Hold any of the Ctrl, Alt and/or shift keys while releasing the keyboard/mouse to the host OS (which you obviously do when you press Crtl-Alt to revert back to windowed mode, as the cursor is then released from the VM).

0 Kudos
ager-wick
Contributor
Contributor

This is a crosspost with comment 127 and 128 here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/source/linux/bug/195982

I did this crosspost because I have discovered very specific steps on how to reproduce the issue that might be important for debugging. I will also be able to test patches or provide more information to interested parties.

Yet another report, but I can reproduce it and have some interesting observations.

HP Compaq nx6325 running Kubuntu Hardy (8.04) running KDE3

uname -a:

Linux 2.6.24-18-generic #1 SMP Wed May 28 19:28:38 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux

VMware Server 1.0.6 build-91891

xserver-xorg 1:7.3+10ubuntu10

xserver-xorg-core 2:1.4.1~git20080131-1ub

(by the way, you can get the above from the command "dpkg -l")

graphics card: ATI Radeon

driver: ati

Interestingly I also had the issue on this machine running Dapper and VMware server a year ago, which I guess rules out xserver 7.3. It disappeared when I stopped using VMWare. At that time I though it was triggered by excessive memory usage, as I only had 1GB but now I have 3GB and only using just over 2.

I believe my old setup was VMware-server-1.0.5-80187 and Kubuntu Dapper (6.06?) i386 (not AMD64). The old setup compiled perfectly, both vmware host and tools.

On my current setup I had to apply vmware-any-any-update117 to get the VMware host to compile, and open-vm-tools-2008.04.14-87182 to get the VMware tools to compile. I had the issue both before and after I got VMware tools properly installed.

I also have the annoying keyboard auto-repeat issue (while typing in the VM, sometimes (or, quite often actually) your keystrokes will be repeated).

steps to reproduce:

NOTE: I have put a lot of time into reproducing exactly the steps needed. The following is the bare minimum of what I need to do to reproduce it. Anything else is irrelevant (in my case). For example, it works fine if I switch to full screen without first clicking inside the VM.

- have a vm running

- switch to vmware

- move the mouse into and click inside the vm

- press ctrl-alt-enter to make it full screen

- press ctrl-alt to revert back to windowed mode

now the problem is there:

ctrl and caps/num/scroll lock does not work

the alt key, including alt-tab works, but when pressing alt-tab it does not release the alt key, meaning i have to press any other key, or tab without alt, to actually switch to another program. It's like I am till holding the alt key.

I do not however have the unstability issue. I can continue running anything I want, so it's easy for me to test various proposed solutions.

Note: I can not reproduce it by holding the ctrl key while moving the mouse from the guest to the host

both of these methods can be used as workaround, reverting the effect of the issue:

- running setxkbmap

- running System Settings - Regional & Language - then selecting Enable keyboard layouts and applying the changes (or if it's already enabled, disable it - apply - then enable and apply)

Interesting things from /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier "Generic Keyboard"

Driver "kbd"

Option "XkbRules" "xorg"

Option "XkbModel" "pc105"

Option "XkbLayout" "gb"

EndSection

Section "Device"

Identifier "Configured Video Device"

EndSection

When it's working fine, I get this output from xmodmap:

xmodmap: up to 2 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift Shift_L (0x32), Shift_R (0x3e)

lock Caps_Lock (0x42)

control Control_L (0x25), Control_R (0x6d)

mod1 Alt_L (0x40), Meta_L (0x9c)

mod2 Num_Lock (0x4d)

mod3

mod4 Super_L (0x7f), Hyper_L (0x80)

mod5 Mode_switch (0x5d), ISO_Level3_Shift (0x7c)

When it's buggy, I get this output:

xmodmap: up to 1 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift

lock

control

mod1

mod2

mod3

mod4

mod5

As I can easily reproduce it, anyone with ideas are encouraged to suggest them, and I will try it to see it if will solve the issue.

Another observation:

It can also be reproduced this way:

click inside the VM

hold any of Shift, Ctrl or Alt keys down while moving the mouse out of the VM window

Note: If I switch to the VM by simply alt-tabbing to it, then pressing Ctrl-Alt-Enter to full screen it, then Crtl-Alt to release, I do not get this problem. It only occurs when I:

1. Click inside the VM and

2. Hold any of the Ctrl, Alt and/or shift keys while releasing the keyboard/mouse to the host OS (which you obviously do when you press Crtl-Alt to revert back to windowed mode, as the cursor is then released from the VM).

0 Kudos
BassKozz
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Possible Solution, Althou I haven't tried it myself: http://nthrbldyblg.blogspot.com/2008/06/vmware-and-fubar-keyboard-effect.html

Please leave feedback if the above has helped remedy your situation... I will report back as well.

Thanks,

-BassKozz

0 Kudos
jra_vm
Contributor
Contributor

Ok, I tried this "trick". No change for me.

Anyway, the v-scancodes are available here: http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_devices_keymap_vscan.html

(v-scancodes are the hexadecimal numbers on the right)

For further explanations: http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/ws_devices_keymap_linux_longer.html

On my Thinkpad, I still have the same result: the modifier keys aren't mapped anymore as soon as I enter VMware in fullscreen or use the alt/shift/control key into the console, etc.

0 Kudos
lp20122
Contributor
Contributor

I tried the trick, and works for me ... thanks!!

Ubuntu hardy + VMWware 6.5 beta

0 Kudos
jra_vm
Contributor
Contributor

$ cat ~/.vmware/config

xkeymap.keycode.62 = 0x36 # Shift_R

xkeymap.keycode.50 = 0x2a # Shift_L

xkeymap.keycode.66 = 0x3a # Caps_Lock

xkeymap.keycode.37 = 0x1d # Control_L

xkeymap.keycode.64 = 0x38 # Alt_L

xkeymap.keycode.113 = 0x138 # Alt_R

xkeymap.keycode.109 = 0x11d # Control_R

On my Thinkpad T42... the behavior is still the same 😕

(I tried to restart the vmware process, the vmware service, the virtual machine, but no changes).

I grabbed the keycodes using xev.

0 Kudos
bambooyip
Contributor
Contributor

Hello, I'm one of those frustrating folks. Here is my 'solution': System -> Preferences -> Keyboard -> Layout (tab) -> Keyboard model Initially, it seems solving the problem. After awhile, cap lock had problem. Then System -> Preferences -> Keyboard -> Layout (tab) -> Layout options -> CAPSLOCK key behavior -> CapsLock just lock the shift modifier

So far, the problem did not come back (having run my VM for 1 hour with switching to full screen of my vm many many times).

Hopefully, my 'solution' helps to release some frustration.;\

Bamboo

0 Kudos
msamuels
Contributor
Contributor

I've also been having this problem for quite some time and would like to see it fixed. Running setxkbmap resolves the issue temporarily but this still renders vmware fairly unusable.

0 Kudos
mbeierl
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Interesting... I've had this problem with vmware since... forever. I just got used to it. In fact now I have a cron job that runs every minute (ya, overkill, I know) that does the following:

-

#!/bin/bash

export DISPLAY=:0.0

xmodmap - << EOF

clear shift

add shift = Shift_L Shift_R

clear lock

add lock = Caps_Lock

clear control

add control = Control_L Control_R

clear mod1

add mod1 = Alt_L Alt_R

clear mod2

add mod2 = Num_Lock

clear mod3

clear mod4

add mod4 = Super_L Super_R

clear mod5

add mod5 = Scroll_Lock

EOF

xset r on

xset m 3.5 4

xset b off

xset s off

-

This effectively resets the keyboard when it goes awry. YMMV.

0 Kudos