Enthusiast
Enthusiast

VMWorkstaion 6.3 suddenly slows unrealated net card

Reproducable on 3 computers.

Workstaion 6.3 build 80004

Host Vista Ultimate 64 SP1

Bridge networking only (no auto bridge) to Intel 4965 AGN wireless

VMNet 1 and VMNet 8 Disabled

Problem: As stated above, all VM's used bridged networking to my Intel 4965 AGN wireless card. Automatic Bridging is turned off. Host only and NAT (VMNet1, and VMNet8) have been disabled (as a possible solution as described in a KB article).

If any VM is running, thoughput to my Realtek RTL8168B/811B gigibit wired connecton slows from approx 60-150mbs, down to less than 10mbs. If I close all VM's, it speeds back up.

Again, the Realtec NIC card is not configured to be used by Workstation. The VM's are running in an idle state (no apps running, minimal CPU useage).

This started happening somewhere between applying Vista SP1, updating to the latest build of workstation, and applying the latest Windows updates.

I can reproduce this behaviour on three different HP-DV9500T Laptops.

It is very annoying, as it makes VMWorkstation almost unuseable.

Somewhere, there is a bug in something.

In any case, since Workstation is configured not to the RealTek adapter, and this happens only when a Vm is running,I feel that this must be a VMWare issue.

1) Does the VMWare team see these posts, or do I need to report the issue?

2) Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanking you in advance,

Joe

0 Kudos
1 Reply
joehecht
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Well,

Interstingly, it seems (so far) that disabling VMNet1 and VMNet8 on every machine on the network causes the problem to go away.

I guess only time will tell, and so glad I am not usng host only or NAT on any of the VM's (yet anyway).

Joe

0 Kudos