VMware Communities
peterjg
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation update from 11.0 to 11.1 installer reports on Windows 7 64-bit that it needs 64-bit to install

I am running VMWare 11.0 workstation on Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit.

The updater says it cannot install because  it needs to run on 64-bit windows 7 or later. This appears to happen during the part of the process that unistalls the previous version before installation of the update.

My platform is 64-bit Windows 7 ultimate. Therefore this is an error of some sort in the installer

Thanks,

--Peter G

C:\Windows\system32>set pro

PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=AMD64

PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10, GenuineIntel

PROCESSOR_LEVEL=6

PROCESSOR_REVISION=170a

64-bit checker reports:

Your Windows is detected as 64bit (x64).

Name: Windows 7 Ultimate

Version: 6.1.7601

Service Pack: Service Pack 1

Type: Multiprocessor Free

Install. Date: Saturday, 4 December 2010

Processor: Your CPU supports 64bit (x64) operating systems.

--

64bit Checker, v1.4.3

www.igorware.com/64bit-checker

0 Kudos
4 Replies
XPVM
Contributor
Contributor

I am experiencing the same problem, I can't upgrade to 11.1 due to this error. I am running Windows 7 64-bit - Ultimate.   When I check for updates it says that 11.1 is available and it begins the download.  It prompts to remove v11.0 and then I receive the error message that it requires Windows 7 64-bit.

Update -- to get around this problem, I downloaded v11.1 from the VMWare website and I used Windows control panel to manually remove v11.0.  I then executed the v11.1 install and it installed properly.  I had to re-enter my license key even though I selected the option to keep license info during the removal of v11.0.   Also, it did not put an icon in my Start menu as I had requested during the installation process.

Message was edited by: XPVM

0 Kudos
peterjg
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks XVPM,

I may skip this update. VMware need to do some repairs to the install process.

Cheers,

--PG

0 Kudos
weltyripper
Contributor
Contributor

Exact same issue here, running Win7 64bit with all the latest updates & SP1.  When trying to "upgrade" it won't install (same error message, asks for Win7 x64 or above, which I am already running).

0 Kudos
johnnye
Contributor
Contributor

Me too. I plan to stick with what I've got until I upgrade the host to Win10 in July/August.

0 Kudos