VMware Communities
msiegenthaler
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0) when switching between battery and cable power

Hi all,
I am using VMware Workstation 16 Pro Version 16.2.2 build-19200509
When I run my Win10 VM on my Laptop and I plug in or plug off my power cable, I get the error shown in the screenshot, and the VM is crashed.
As a workaround, I can suspend my VM before plug in/off the cable, then I can resume the VM later without issue.
This error is new to me since version 16. Any ideas, how to prevent this error?

VMWare Workstation unrecoverable error: (vcpu-0)
VERIFY bora\vmx\main\hostWin32.c:569
unrecoverable errorunrecoverable errorversion infoversion info

Labels (2)
16 Replies
MikhailT
Contributor
Contributor

Strangely, I get the same error on desktop PC when I start more than one VM. 

0 Kudos
robertocostelli
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue

0 Kudos
Martyn775
Contributor
Contributor

Same here too. Exactly the same error although in my case it happens on a desktop PC. Returning to 16.1.2 solves the issue.

0 Kudos
robertocostelli
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Martyn, how can i downgrade my virtual machine to previous versione?

0 Kudos
Martyn775
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Roberto. In my case I had made a backup of all my VM's prior to upgrading. So all I had to do was uninstall VMWare 16.2.2 and install 16.1.2 (older versions are available from MyVMWare,My Products), then restore your VM backups. If you've got no VM backups then you should search for others on here who have successfully downgraded. It seems that 16.2.x versions are broken for a lot of people and has been for many months.

0 Kudos
MikhailT
Contributor
Contributor

On my end, 16.1.2 build-17966106 is all I need to restore the working state of VMware. I didn't have to restore any backups, just uninstall the latest version and install that one. You may have to reinstall VMware

0 Kudos
Nodens
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem on workstation, win11 host, no hyper-v (clear logs), when starting any VM or even trying to create a new one. 100% reproducible on my end. 16.2.x is unusable.

0 Kudos
Martyn775
Contributor
Contributor

Just to confirm that 16.2.3 still has this issue.

0 Kudos
SchaalPatrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I will check this issue after 14PM MESZ, when i can use a Laptop with VMWare.

0 Kudos
SchaalPatrick
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

@all

I checked the reported Issue on my Home Laptop.
Start VM with Power, remove Power, Shutdown VM, restart VM, Plugin Power - All ok

But VMWare Workstation has no issue when running 3 VMWare Machines and Plug off the Power supply.

i use the Latest Build of VMWare "VMware-workstation-full-16.2.3-19376536.exe"

0 Kudos
Martyn775
Contributor
Contributor

I've found a solution that has fixed this error for me. I am using an Nvidia GPU.

From the Nvidia Control Panel check that Global 'Max Frame Rate' is set to OFF. This is in 'Manage 3D settings'/'Global Settings' TAB. Turn it off and set it for individual applications/games instead using the 'Program Settings' TAB.

My guess is that some changes were made to 3D acceleration from the 16.2.x versions onwards

GalaxyAdam
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me

0 Kudos
MikhailT
Contributor
Contributor

Have you pass it on to VMware to investigate? It sounds like knowing this is limited to nvidia GPU and turning that option should give them enough info to reproduce this. 

0 Kudos
HadToPickOne
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue here... but I checked the ''Max frame rate'' option and it is set to ''OFF'' already.

Unfortunately, this fix doesn't work for me.

I have to use version 16.1.2. Version 16.2 and up gives me this error if I am using gpu acceleration:

VERIFY bora\vmx\main\hostWin32.c:569

0 Kudos
Chr_Fr_85
Contributor
Contributor

I also get this error.

I can install Windows, tried Vista, Seven, 10 & 11, but as soon as setup is complette, VM reboots and tries to show login screen, it crashes with the error Message.

Same VM on my main PC runs flawlessly so, it's not the VM config.
I'm using VMware since Version 4.x or 5.x and had never such an error.

For me it all started when installing VMware Player 16.x.y on my new HP Laptop (RyZen 5 5600u, 32GB Ram, 1TB nVME).
On my main PC (RyZen 7 3700x, 32GB, 500GB nVME) everything run's normal.

Just updated to the newest Version 16.2.4, but the error persists. Windows was freshly installed, all drivers where there.
I have like no clue what it could be, i tried any potentielly error causing setting, nothing.

But at least this Thread shows me, i am not alone.

0 Kudos
ZackInMA
Contributor
Contributor

For me, I disabled the option to enable accelerated 3D graphics and that fixed it for me. Too bad as I would have liked to have it on, but the VMs were just too unreliable. If I tried to interact with more than 1, whichever one was already running blew up with this message. 

Seems like it's something related to the graphics for sure. 

0 Kudos