VMware Communities
LesterLau
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation Verision 17.5.1 Guest Windows 10 keep BSOD SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

VMWare Workstation version 17.5.1

Host: Windows 11 Pro 64 Bit 23H2

Guest: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit 22H2,

Guest keep BSOD SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

If set guest to 1 processors with per processor to 2 cores, then can boot up guest. But this mean the guest is running very slow and impossible to work with.

Attached wmware.log

Any recommendations?

7 Replies
DCasota
Expert
Expert

A similar discussion has been initiated a while ago here SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED - Page 2 - VMware Technology Network VMTN. If adding hpet0.present = "TRUE" to the vmx file did not help, hence the cascade of constellations [Host os release and patch status, software drivers, VMware Workstation release, virtual hardware release, guest os settings, guest os, guest os software drivers, vmware tools] isn't interesting but if it does not work, it must be carefully considered.

Have you already tried to add the Hyperv feature and enable the "Virtualize IOMMU" in the guest os settings?

The following setup works and the performance is good.
- laptop Yoga Pro i9 / latest fw
- Windows 11 version 10.0.22631.3296
- VMware Workstation 17.5.1
- virtual hardware 21
- guest os settings Windows Server 2022 / number of processors=4, number of cores per processor=1 / 8gb ram / NVMe harddisk / cd/dvd sata, usb controller compatibility 3.1 / soundcard, display 2 monitor with accelerate 3d graphics, 8gb graphics memory
- Microsoft Windows Server 2025 preview with built-in drivers

It starts successfully with processor=1 core=1 as well.

0 Kudos
DhairyaT
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@LesterLau 

@LesterLau 

When the Issue is reproduced, please suspend the VM:-

1) Go to VM directory.

2) Locate the files with extensions .vmem and .vmss and please attach them here.

Also share the full support bundle of the affected VM using below- 

Help->Support->Collect Support Data 

0 Kudos
LesterLau
Contributor
Contributor

Dear All,

I finally go for the paid support and the following is the solution for me.

1. Enable the Hyper-V feature (Control Panel->Programs and Features->Turn Windows features on or off-> Hyper V checked) in Windows 11 Pro 

2. Run the following command: powercfg /powerthrottling disable /path "C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation\x64\vmware-vmx.exe"

Thank you everyone for responsing.

DhairyaT
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@LesterLau Not sure if I understood correctly, so with the steps you have provided above, is the issue resolved for you?

0 Kudos
LesterLau
Contributor
Contributor

Dear @DhairyaT 

Yes the above steps currently have resolved my issue.

0 Kudos
DhairyaT
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@LesterLau Thanks for the update.

0 Kudos
lemsig
Contributor
Contributor

Just wanted to say thanks for this contribution. After recently purchasing a new HP i7-1355U based laptop running Windows 11 Pro version 22H2 and upgrading VM Workstation Pro to ver 17.5.1, I ended up with a system that from my the perspective of running my business was unworkable. I reverted back to my previous laptop running Windows 10 Pro and VM Workstation Pro ver.16.2 in order to keep working.

I have tried the other various workaround "fixes" on the knowbase threads I found to no avail.

However I have just applied your remedy, and my system is now performing as expected. Thank you LesterLau for your post.

0 Kudos