VMware Communities
bieler
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation 8, Windows 10, Bluescreen starting any VM

Hi,

I recently installed windows 10 on a new Laptop. After installing VMWare Workstation 8 i tried to start a VM, but the Host crashes everytime with a bluescreen.

The Bluescreen dump tells that it crashed at ntoskrnl.exe+14e240 and tells that it had a problem with the MEMORY MANAGEMENT. This also happens with a new created VM.

5 Replies
HariRajan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have you enabled Intel VT in laptop BIOS , also turn off antivirus completely.

if not fixing this issue , please do below things .

reboot the laptop and do a memory diagnostic , also do a windows update.

Thanks & Regards in Plenteous . Hari Rajan
0 Kudos
bieler
Contributor
Contributor

VT is on, antivirus is turned off completly.

Memory check is ok, Windows is up to date too.

Reboot it done automatically after every bluescreen Smiley Wink:smileysilly:.

Still the same problem, as soon as I start a VM, the system stops with a bluescreen.

HariRajan
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

something weird man Heart, now something cranking in mind . Please try this.

I just checked the compatibility matrix  and VMware workstation 8 won't support on Windows 10 ,

I would say download evaluation version workstation 11.12 and 12.0 and see any progress.

https://www.vmware.com/support/ws/doc/workstation-1112-release-notes.html

Thanks & Regards in Plenteous . Hari Rajan
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

IIRC then the workaround is to change the virtual SATA CDrom to IDE and then remove the sata conttroller.

Of course that also means that your virtual disk should not be a sata disk.

Edit: Never mind.. my bad, didn't read well enough. That is the workaround for Windows 10 guests, not for Windows 10 hosts. On a Windows 10 host, you're likely to have more problems with using Workstation 8 anyways.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
mfelker
Expert
Expert

I would try to go into safe mode and uninstall WS 8.  It is is not supported on a Windows 10 host or as a guest.

0 Kudos