VMware Communities
tosch1842
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation 7.1.3 and Player won't install on Windows 7

Hi

I tried to install both versions, the install programs runs almost to the end, the icon is placed on the desktop, then nothing happens, then the icon disappears and I get the message

- Installing packages on the system, Empty progress bar for a long time

- Then the message "C:\Users\Thomas\AppData\Local\Temp\vmware_13009456639\vmware (workstation | player).msi" failed. File(s) and directory are there.

I am logged in as admin.

Tried to install the latest Workstation and Players 3.1.3 and 3.1.2, exactly the same result. MD5 checked and ok.

Running Windows 7 Home on a Sony Vaio with C partition 50 GB available, also tried on D drive with 100 GB avail. Same result

Does anybody have any idea why and what is happening?

Thanks

Thomas

0 Kudos
8 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

read  my notes http://faq.sanbarrow.com/index.php?solution_id=1113
carefully and follow it closely

if that does not help report back

tosch1842
Contributor
Contributor

I tried all of the above, including the "Cleanup" tool from VMware (should clean out registry, etc.), now it crashes later, looks like in the registry. Some hexcode in curly brackets can not be accessed.

Now the install gets to a point where it actually does a rollback on its own and not just crash.

Too busy right now with a CRC problem on another machine that does not want to copy the VMDK file after I had to forcefully shut down Windows, this time XP.

Will get back to the problem here once I fixed the other issue.

If you or anybody else has additional advice. I am ready for it.

Thanks

Thomas

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

CRC problems probably are a hint to a harddisk that is close to death - make sure you copy all important data from it as soon as possible

0 Kudos
tosch1842
Contributor
Contributor

I think the CRC problem had to do with a forced computer shutdown when VMWare got "stuck" and I had to turn off the computer without shutting anything down correctly. Brand new computer, shouldn't be a HDD problem.

That company got just bought out, so everything takes forever and they haven't bought a Workstation license yet. Installed the trial version, cloned it and copied and then it worked, including the original copy has no problems anymore. CHKDSK and the vmware diskmanager repair tool couldn't find anything.

---

Back to the old problem. I cleaned everything out, with the CLEAN parameter and the CLEANUP tool, extracted the install into a directory and it runs much further, and now I get this 1935 error of which Microsoft says it might be caused by some 3rd party software.

I will remove some tools that might be suspicious and see what happens.

We'll see where it goes.

Thanks

Thomas

0 Kudos
tosch1842
Contributor
Contributor

The full error message is

Error 1935. An error occurred during the installation of assembly component {8731EA9C-B0D8-8F16-A01F-C8B3B9A1E18E}. HRESULT: 0x80070002.

Will this help me move a step further?

Thanks for you help

Thomas

0 Kudos
tosch1842
Contributor
Contributor

BTW, my installer file can't get past the "temp.. MSI not working"

I always run the MSI from the extracted directory.

0 Kudos
RevXP
Contributor
Contributor

I always have to use the full 'Administrator' account when installing VMWare Workstation on my Win7 64 machine.  Using my normal admin type account and running the installer 'as admin' doesn't work.

0 Kudos
tosch1842
Contributor
Contributor

Just downloaded the 3.1.4 player. Same behavior. After network install, I get that long HEX code message.

• The EXE had a problem with the TEMP directory and couldn't find the ...msi file
  • The extracted version, this time on my C: drive, has the HEX problem

Just for the heck of it, I clicked on the VMWare Player icon, and it started up before the installation was completed!!!!

And I could load an appliance and it is working just fine... how frustrating is that????

As soon as I click OK... the whole install will be rolled back..

It is even downloading the VMware Tools for Linux right now.

How crazy is that?

Thomas

0 Kudos