VMware Communities
dlhtox
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare Workstation 17 Pro disk speed vs. host disk speed - not good

I have done some testing of the disk speeds within VMWare Workstation 17 Pro vs. the host disk speeds, and it is quite disheartening.

NvME seems to be strong in some areas and not as much in others. Also, the top speed we see if 2827 on read and 2629 on write is nowhere near the speed of my NvME host drive. I built a new system with the latest and greatest NvME mainly for VMWare Workstation and it is disappointing it is not even half as fast as the host NvME.

Hyper-V performance tests out around the same as the host drive.

I have a very large program I install and it takes 21 minutes to install on VMWare Workstation 17 and 15 minutes on Hyper-V with everything else being equal (Same OS, same amount of memory and disk allocated, etc)

------ The following CrystalDiskMark tests were done with Hyper-V completely removed from the Windows 11 host -----

dlhtox_0-1669759613907.png

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Br_Silva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Good morning!

Did you find out how to solve this problem?
I'm having the same problem...

I installed vmware on linux ubuntu 22.04 and the performance is much higher than when installing vmware workstation on windows...

VM install Windows 11VM install Windows 11VM install  Ubuntu 22.04VM install Ubuntu 22.04

0 Kudos
dlhtox
Contributor
Contributor

No, the problem is not solved.  I'd love it if was even up around 6000 instead of the paltry 2500 I get now.  

0 Kudos
Br_Silva
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What a shame! I thought you could help me, but if I find something I'll come back to you here, I'm also trying to find out how to improve this performance.

Cya

0 Kudos