VMware Communities
berrykdrit
Contributor
Contributor

VMWare WorkStation 12 Pro on Server 2012R2 upgrade path to >=Server2019 and Workstation 17 Pro

Hi,

I have tried to get in contact with VMWare support/sales without success.  Here is my issue.

We have a Windows 2012R2 Server running VMware 12 Pro, I was asked to get it upgraded as the OS will be going EOS soon.

I would like to upgrade to Windows Server 2019 or later with VM Workstation 17 Pro.

I don't see any documentation related to what the official upgrade paths from WS 12 Pro would be as they are running VM's that are needed on secondary SSD/HDD drives separate from the OS.

I see that WS 12 Pro only supports Server 2012R2 and older so I can't upgrade the OS first, but I see that 17 Pro supports the older OS.  

What is the process to upgrade?  Can I just install 17 Pro (keeping all existing VM configurations), then upgrade the OS?  I see an upgrade process from 15 Pro but not from anything older.  The user/owner of the host has several dozen VM's and we can't afford to have MAC/IP change etc as the solutions running are licensed to this information.

Any help or pointers to the appropriate documentation would be helpful and appreciated.

Ken

0 Kudos
0 Replies