VMware Communities
mrcet007
Contributor
Contributor

VMInstallHcmon - Failed to install the hcmon driver in windows 10

Hi Everyone -

Today I got notice that the 15.5.6 update for vmware workstation had been released. In the process of installing it - I got the dreaded vminstallhcmon failed to install the hcmon driver error.

Scouring the web - I tried the suggestions. But nothing worked

- running installer as admin (though this shouldn't matter because the .msi automatically prompts for UAC elevation to admin)

- running install from elevated command prompt

- confirming that hcmon.inf nor hcmon.sys was not cashed in DRVSTORE or elsewhere on disk

- no devices in Device Manager in "Non Plug'n Play devices" - in fact the section doesn't exist (even after displaying hidden items)

Questions

1. Where do i find the log of the installation on windows 10? I think vminst.log. but do not know where to find it.

2. Here, the similar issue is solved. The solution says "This ended up being caused by my Windows certificate store. It seems that the Microsoft root trust certificate was no longer trusted. I deleted all of my trust stores and reinstall using certutil."

How do i delete the trust stores as proposed on windows 10?

0 Kudos
1 Reply
kalyche1975
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem and I haven't found an effective solution, the steps described by you were also carried out without success, we thank you for  supporting the solution.

'

0 Kudos