VMware Communities
glummulator
Contributor
Contributor

VMDK file dates?

Hi,

my Workstation virtual machine that I'm using every day for some light work has a 60GB vmdk disk split accros multiple GB files. I was hoping to set up a Crashplan backup for it, assuming the files remain the same for the most part if I don't move or create files within it. After the initial backup (which took several days on my 4Mbit upload connection, much to my surprise, Crashplan today decided it wants to back up the 60GB AGAIN. I checked and holy crap the file dates on all the 2GB files are from today.

My question is, why does Workstation change the file date on ALL vmdk files, and is there any way to prevent this?

Many thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
glummulator
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The .vmdk file and the location within this file to which data is written depends on the location to which the guest OS writes its data. Therefore VMware Workstation opens all files in R/W mode which causes at lease the time stamp to be updated.

What might be an option to minimize the data to be uploaded to your backup target is to create a snapshot. Once created you need to backup all files, and then keep backing up only the modified files. Once the snapshot grows to a certain size, you may consider to consolidate/delete the snapshot, create a new one, and start with a new full backup.

André

0 Kudos