VMware Communities
sillysquid
Contributor
Contributor

VM unpredictable behavior. Do you wish to resume this virtual machine?

Problem: 

1) First, I start up VMWare Workstation and then proceed to open Ubuntu_CSE virtual machine.

2) I click "Resume this virtual machine"

3) A popup appears saying: 

The features supported by the processors in this machine are different from the features supported by the processors in the machine on which the virtual machine state was saved.

You may attempt to resume this virtual machine, but doing so may result in unpredictable behavior. Do you wish to resume this virtual machine?

4a) If I click No, this appears: 

An error occurred while restoring the CPU state from file "C:\Users\SillySquid\Desktop\LabVM\Ubuntu_CSE\Ubuntu_CSE\Ubuntu_CSE-Snapshot2.vmsn".

An error caused the restore operation to fail. Cancel the restore operation and correct the error, or discard the snapshot's state and power off. The saved snapshot will not be affected.

4b) If I click Discard/Cancel, this will "crash" the machine, stating: Failed to start the virtual machine.

4c) If I click Yes in part 3), this appears:

Cannot connect the virtual device ide1:0 because no corresponding device is available on the host.

Do you want to try to connect this virtual device every time you power on the virtual machine?

4d) If I click Yes or No, the Ubuntu_CSE virtual machine will power up successfully. However the Ubuntu_CSE virtual machine is unstable. (i.e.: the number lock on my keyboard keeps switching on & off, the terminal/cmd in Ubuntu_CSE keeps hanging, etc)

Here are some important information you should know:

- VMWare Workstation version 16.2.3 build-19376536

- Host OS version: windows 10 Home, 64-bit (Build 22000.708) 10.0.22000

- Faces this problem every time I try to use Ubuntu_CSE and/or HACKER VM that my school provided me with

- No idea what triggers this problematic behavior, my classmates has no issue with this. Downloaded from the school's website

- I posted the VM file (Ubuntu_CSE) in .txt format as .vmx cant be posted

- Host connected to network via Wi-Fi

Does anyone know how to solve this? Tried searching this particular issue in VMware communities. Found one that has similar problem to mine, but the solutions suggested are not effective. Searched YouTube, found some videos. Solutions not effective as well...

Thank you.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
compdigit44
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I am wondering if the vmsn file is corrupt. If no snapshots are present and you have backed up all files. Try to delete the vmsn file as suggested by another post: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/ESXi-Discussions/Is-it-safe-to-delete-vmsn-files/td-p/1303621

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thread reported, expect a moderator to move it to the area for Workstation Pro.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

de1:0.clientDevice = "FALSE"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.deviceType = "atapi-cdrom"
ide1:0.autodetect = "TRUE"
ide1:0.startConnected = "TRUE"

sata0:0.fileName = "Ubuntu_CSE-disk1-000002.vmdk"
checkpoint.vmState.readOnly = "TRUE" 
checkpoint.vmState = "Ubuntu_CSE-Snapshot2.vmsn"
snapshot.action = "autoRevert"

IDE1:0 - remove all lines and set
ide1:0.present = "false"

Did you set the snapshot autorevert option accidentaly ?
Please send a complete filelist.
Rename/delete the vmsn-file.
In case you have a *.vmss file - delete it.
During next starts do NOT use the suspend option and power down the VM cleanly.

But right now the most important question is about the autorevert to snapshot issue.
This does not make sense when the VM is in an unstable state.

Ulli

0 Kudos
nebuladev
Contributor
Contributor

Same issue happened to me. Windows 10 on Lenovo ThinkPad. When I pressed resume, the VM was frozen and my attempts at even restarting the VM were not working. None of my snapshots worked either, giving the same error message. The problem was resolved after connecting my laptop back to the Lenovo docking station in which it was connected for most of the time that I used the VM and when I created the snapshots. I did have to restart the VM through the VMware menu, but after the restart, it seems to be working fine!

0 Kudos