VMware Communities
Olaf_van_der_Sp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

VM disk sizes

Got a VM with a single HDD with current size: 17 GB and maximum size: 40 GB (according to VM settings dialog).

On the host this has:

16 GB: X.vmdk (old modified date)

25 GB: X-000001.vmdk (old modified date)

18 GB: X-000002.vmdk (recent modified date)

How does this work?

If I move the older files I can't start the VM.

The VM doesn't have any snapshots.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The snapshot may not show up in the Snapshot Manager for whatever reason, but it has snapshots.

Assuming that you are not low on disk space, you may try to open Snapshot Manger, create a new snapshot, and then - without Closing the Snapshot Manger - select that newly created snaphot and delete it t again. This should delete/merge all snapshots into the base disk.

Note that snapshots contain changed data blocks, i.e. the base disk and the snapshots work as a chain, and manually deleting/moving one of the chain links will not work.

André

View solution in original post

2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

The snapshot may not show up in the Snapshot Manager for whatever reason, but it has snapshots.

Assuming that you are not low on disk space, you may try to open Snapshot Manger, create a new snapshot, and then - without Closing the Snapshot Manger - select that newly created snaphot and delete it t again. This should delete/merge all snapshots into the base disk.

Note that snapshots contain changed data blocks, i.e. the base disk and the snapshots work as a chain, and manually deleting/moving one of the chain links will not work.

André

Olaf_van_der_Sp
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Thanks, that did the trick!

0 Kudos