VMware Communities
GingkoBiloba
Contributor
Contributor

Using Visual Studio plugin in 2005/2008 but NOT in 2010

Hello,

I am using VMWare Workstation on a computer with multiple versions of Visual Studio concurrently installed.

It looks like that the VMWare integrated debugger for Visual Studio works properly with Visual Studio 2005 and 2008 but NOT with Visual Studio 2010.

I even found that this plugin, if I try to install it on a computer with Visual Studio 2010 installed, introduces painful instabilities into the Visual Studio application

So I would like to know if is there a way to install the plugin in such a way that it would be available only in the Visual Studio 2005 or 2008 installations, and NOT in the Visual Studio 2010 installation ?

Gilles

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mdunn-vmware
Expert
Expert

Click Tools->Add-in Manager in VS. Does the VMware plugin show up in that list? If so, disable it and see if that helps the stability.

GingkoBiloba
Contributor
Contributor

Hello,

I just tried to install VMWare Workstation 7.1.2., and tried to reinstall the Visual Studio plugin with it.

After only two Visual Studio 2010 launches, I'm sorry having to inform you that this version of VMWare Workstation DO NOT FIX the instability quoted above about Visual Studio 2010 (that is, some kind of Visual Studio toolbar customizations are rapidly lost after adding the plugin).

So I will have to remove the plugin again, it is still unusable for me

Gingko

0 Kudos
GingkoBiloba
Contributor
Contributor

I didn't answer to this previously, so I do it now :

Yes,disabling the plugin that way seems to help the stability, thank you very much.

But I'm afraid that I will have to wait at least for VMWare 7.1.3 before not having to disable the plugin.

Gingko

0 Kudos
GingkoBiloba
Contributor
Contributor

Just for your information :

I'm still having the same stability problems when using the VMWare Integrated Debugger on Visual Studio Debugger when using VMWare Workstation 7.1.3.

That is, if the VMWare menu is added in Visual Studio, some kind of customisations on Visual Studio Toolbar (not related to VMWare) become impossible to save (they are always lost after at most two Visual Studio launchings.

More, I even ran in a case (in 7.1.2, I must say) where it was impossible to disable the plugin through the Add-in Manager : that settings change itself was not kept on VS2010 reload.

I am now falling to simply not installing the plugin when I install/reinstall/upgrade VMWare workstation, in order to avoid problems.

Best regards,

Gilles

0 Kudos
GingkoBiloba
Contributor
Contributor

FYI

The above problem is not fixed in VMWare Workstation 7.1.3, even when running Visual Studio 2010 SP1.

I just added Visual Studio 2010 SP1 to another system (running Windows 7 SP1), where there was already VMWare 7.1.3 installed, and I still run in the same VMWare plugin stability problem, and I am unable to disable the plugin again (Visual Studio do not remember the disabling after restarting).

Now I just upgraded to VMWare 7.1.4, while disabling the plugin (I will not try 7.1.4 + plugin as there is nothing about that in the 7.1.4 changelog) in order upgrade and get rid of this plugin at once.

Best regards,

Gingko

0 Kudos