VMware Communities
sutphinwb
Contributor
Contributor

Update from 9.0.2 to 9.0.3 failed install

I received the notification to update to 9.0.3 (from 9.0.2).  Went through the "automated" process of downloading, etc.  After the process supposedly removed 9.0.2, the 9.0.3 installed failed, claiming a problem with the "{user}\AppData\Local\Temp\vmware_1386250619\vmwareworkstation_x64.msi".  Tried re-installing 9.0.2, same thing.

I look at the logs, but there is so much junk in there that it is hard to determine what gives.  One thing I saw was it was unable to delele the VMWare folder.  I tried it, couldn't, has to stop some stupid update processes, then deleted folder, install still failed.

frustrated.

Bill

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

0 Kudos
sutphinwb
Contributor
Contributor

Yah, I looked at that.  You do realize how complex the procedure is, right?

Does the cleanup thing in the zip file offer any relief?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You do realize how complex the procedure is, right?

Personally I just do not see it as a complex process and would automate the process via a script based on the information in the document and then run the script from an Administrator Command Prompt.  The alternative is to manually follow the applicable steps.

Does the cleanup thing in the zip file offer any relief?

Can't say as I've never had to use it however it's there for a reason! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

the "cleanup thing" in the zip can be used first - then follow the instructions.

The instructions are a bit outdated - with WS 9 it will be incomplete.

So once you did everything mentioned there - open regedit - goto to HKLM\System - select the correct Controlsetset and search for services starting with VM - there may be some entries that have to be cleaned manually.
Also check HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\Root - most of the times you will find some rests there as well - again - select the correct controlset !

0 Kudos
sutphinwb
Contributor
Contributor

The zip cleanup thing worked.

William Sutphin

Naval Undersea Warfare Center, Division Newport

Bldg 1351, Room 211C

Newport, RI 02841

(401) 832-5813

0 Kudos