VMware Communities
billk
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to reduce 200GB virtual disk included with the Virtual Bugzilla 3.2.2 Appliance

I have downloaded the virtual bugzilla 3.2.2 appliance from the VM marketplace (http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/69458) and can't get it to resize the 200 GB disk that they have included to store user data. I have tried to use the standalone vmware converter, but that only gives me the option of copying the disks as is. I tried exporting it to my esxi server using vmware workstation 6.5 and that says it can't read source information and just allows me to copy the disks as is. I tried using vmware-vdiskmanager at the command line using the -r -s 10GB parameters and it says it creates the new disk successfully, but when I add that disk to the virtual machine configuration in workstation, it still says that the disk size is 200 GB.

What am I doing wrong?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

what vmdk-type is used by that VM ?

if you don't know - post the vmdk

description of vmx-parameters:

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
billk
Contributor
Contributor

0 - single growable disk file.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

So you want to reduce the size of a one-piece growing disk ?

First make sure you do not have any snapshots.

Then add a second disk of the size you want.

Boot into a Linux LiveCD and manually clone disk to disk.

Sorry - never used that VM-applicance so I can't be more specific.

vmware-vdiskmanager can NOT reduce the nominal disksize - you must use 3rd party tools

VMware-liveCD:

billk
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I want to reduce it because there is no way I will ever fill 200 GB and ESXi will allocate all 200GB for it, which is wasteful.

I have live cds for centos, ubuntu, etc. I can boot any of those, but need a little more help on the clone disk operation. This is an XP SP2 host where I have workstation 6.5 installed.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi - your host does not matter at all.

Well - I never saw that VM so I would check this first: how is that VM partitioned ? Maybe it has a very large partition ised for /home ....

Maybe you post the output of "mount" - then we could find a simple procedure

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos
billk
Contributor
Contributor

Didn't think the host mattered but wanted to give you as much information as possible.

That 200GB disk is mounted to its own mount point: /vbs/userdata/data. There is only a var directory inside of here where some application files are. The disk /dev/sdc1 only has this one partition.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

and the base of the system is on another vmdk ?

Then it should be very easy - just add another vmdk - boot into Knoppix and copy large-disk to new-small-disk.

Then remove the old disk from the vmx-file and replace it with the new one

VMware-liveCD:

0 Kudos