VMware Communities
Gascan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Unable to open file "xxxxxx" One of the disks in this virtual machine is already in use by a virtual machine or by a snapshot.

Hi all,

Out of sheer desperation I have come to the forums seeking assistance!

We are running the latest version of Workstation 8 on a Dell T410 with Windows Server 2008 R2.

On Thursday last week we experienced major issues with our electricity supply, and our server unfortunately was switched off ungracefully. When the power was restored to our offices, I checked on the system, and discovered that one of our VM's are not starting up.

When I attempt to start the VM, I get the following error:

"Unable to open file "xxxxxx" One of the disks in this virtual machine is already in use by a virtual machine or by a snapshot".

I have tried to copy the VM files to separate HDD, but half way through I get "Invalid MS-DOS" function on one of the .VMDK files (snapshot).

I have also tried to use ROBOCOPY to copy the VM folder to another location, and I get the message "the filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect" in the command line output. This seems to be an issue with the VM snapshot file itself (.vmdk), as it only does it for this one particular file. I am concerned that there may be no way for us to recover this VM.

I have tried the following:

1. Removed and re-added the disk to the VM

2. Deleted all .lck files

3. Copying the VM to another location

We would like to obviously get the VM back up and running. We unfortunately do not have any recent backup of the VM either.

Please advise, if you can, if you perhaps have a procedure or some suggestions as to how we can restore our VM?

Many thanks!

Regards,

Greig

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

try to convert the 000003.vmdk into a new vmdk - or vhd if there is no other option.
Then create a complete new VM using the converted vmdk

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

1. Why is the Server not on a UPS?

2. Why do you not have current proper backups of the VM?

3. Archive and attach a copy of VM's vmware.log file and a file list of the VM from a Command Prompt using: dir *.* /oen > fillist.txt

NOTE: DO NOT copy and paste the contents of the .log or other files into the body of a reply!  Use the "Use advanced editor" link in the upper right corner of the normal reply window to bring up the Advanced Editor where you'll be able to attach files via the Choose File button or Browse button (depending on the Browser) above the Post Message button! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

To me this looks like a host file system issue, which you may need to fix by running

chkdsk >drive:> /f

André

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

First thing to try: chkdsk /f /x /r against the driveletter where the vmdk is stored.

When that does not help - try to read/convert the non-working vmdk with WinImage , Starwind V2V Converter ... there are a few more tools in this category - try a few of them.
If all that still fails - boot your host with a Windows 32bit LiveCD and  try vdk.exe

0 Kudos
Gascan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. I understand the importance of backups / DR processes, and I have highlighted this to management.

@a.p., @continuum:

I ran chkdsk on ALL drives in the server over the weekend, and all were error-free.

@WoodyZ:

Please find attached as requested.

If I try to copy the entire VM directory (to try and make a physical backup), it fails when trying to copy the "cl1-000003.vmdk" file. This file gives me the "Invalid MS-DOS" message. I can open this file in WinImage (see response to continuum below).

@continuum:

I was able to install WinImage, and can open all 4 vmdk files (see attached .zip file with directory listing) of the VM (it asks which partition I would like to open whenever I open one of the vmdk's). I get a directory/file listing once I have opened the vmdk's. So now that I was able to "open" the 00003.vmdk (and all other vmdk) file in WinImage, what would you recommend I do from here in order to restore the VM to its' original working state - should I convert the vmdk? If so, to what?

Apologies for being such a bug - I have never had to do this before...

I really appreciate all your help.

Regards,

Greig

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

try to convert the 000003.vmdk into a new vmdk - or vhd if there is no other option.
Then create a complete new VM using the converted vmdk

0 Kudos
Gascan
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

@continuum:

YOU ROCK!

I was able to use Starwind V2V Converter to convert the 000003.vmdk to a new .vmdk, and I was able to boot into Linux from the new .vmdk.

I first tried WinImage, but it hung at 46% for the last 2 days, and then I was able to convert today using Starwind.

One last bit of assistance please? Judging by the file output of the VM that I attached in an earlier post, there are 4 .vmdk files (where 000003 is the corrupt file that I converted):

OBIEE Foundation Suite-cl1.vmdk

OBIEE Foundation Suite-cl1-000001.vmdk

OBIEE Foundation Suite-cl1-000002.vmdk

OBIEE Foundation Suite-cl1-000003.vmdk

Do I simply put the other 3 of these .vmdk files into the folder that was created when I created the new VM from the 000003.vmdk file, and then boot the 000003.vmdk VM, or do I boot the the cl1.vmdk file after copying it as well as 000001 and 000002 into the new folder?

OR

Do I completely ignore the other .vmdk files as of now and simply go forward using the newly created 000003.vmdk VM?

I basically just want to know how to go forward from here to restore full functionality to the previous VM. I ask this, because I notice that the cl1.vmdk file is approx 23GB, 000001 is about 7GB, 000002 is about 2.5GB and 000003 is about 1.6GB. It seems a bit weird to be booting up a 1.6GB VM and be sitting with my previous config... Smiley Happy

Thank you so much for your time and assistance!

Regards,

Greig

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you converted OBIEE Foundation Suite-cl1-000003.vmdk to new.vmdk then this new copy includes everything.

The new VM using new.vmdk should have the same state as the old one using the snapshots.

Anyway - if you are unsure - power on the new VM and move all vmdks other than new.vmdk into a subdirectory "deletemesoon"
You should be able to move all vmdks other than those that are in use.

If the VM can be restarted like this - the subdirectory "deletemesoon" can be deleted

0 Kudos