VMware Communities
MonaNot
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to install all modules. See log for details. Workstation Pro 16

I can not get Workstation Pro 16.1.2-17966106.x86_64 to work. I'm installing it on the current version Centos 8 
I've followed all the different instructions to make sure it has all the dependencies, modules and kernels. All I can get it to do is produce log files which are not helpful to me.

It keeps telling me that it is installing vmmon and vmnet and then it tells that it is unable to install all modules and to see the log.

I find items in the log that it can't find??? Isn't the installer supposed to create these? 

I've installed Workstation Pro 16 previously on a smaller drive without difficulty and now I want to do a fresh install on a larger drive.  I really don't get it???

Any help would greatly be appreciated as I have wasted way too much time on this and am considering another options.

Please see logfile attached.

Thanks Peter

0 Kudos
17 Replies
tasikas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Same here on openSUSE Tumbleweed # VERSION="20210910"

Comand

$ sudo vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

doesn't solve the problem. Used to be fine until recently.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
MonaNot
Contributor
Contributor

Hello? Does anybody have a clue as to how to install the Workstation 16 on CentOS 8? See the previous post.
I've been  trying all kinds of solutions, I've updated, reinstalled CentOS 8, redownloaded the Workstation  16. Literally days have been wasted attempting to get it to work.

The documentation is horrible. There is no support ...at least not that I can find.

From all the wonderful solutions (sarcasm) and comments about this product on the internet, I'm beginning to realize how unsupported and buggy this product is. I'm sorry I had spent the money to buy it!

This is my last ditch effort  to get it to work. Would someone kindly direct me to someone somewhere who might know where I can get some help? 

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
chuckjorrit
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I got the same problem but with Ubuntu 20.04.

I've tried several solutions online, has any one else have the same problem or has anyone solved it?

0 Kudos
tasikas
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have switched to Kubuntu and also have the same issue. I have solved with

$ sudo apt install gcc build-essential linux-headers-generic linux-headers-$(uname -r)

freecode
Contributor
Contributor

It appears VMware is not going to fix this at all. Sad that a paid product will be left to fall apart like this, but they are not investing in correcting this for end-users. Used to be the go-to, but now I'm getting tired of always having to fix this with each 'upgrade'.  Time to find a different solution.

0 Kudos
MonaNot
Contributor
Contributor

Well ...unfortunately I've moved on, I needed a working solution. I did like Workstation Pro 16 when it was working, but I've gone back to VirtualBox which managed to get up and running in 20 minutes without a fuss.

Maybe one day I may try again.

Thank you to those folks that attempted to help me.

Cheers,
Peter

0 Kudos
gbruno
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It worked for me!! Fine!

Ubuntu version 22.04, 20.04.4, Processor intel i5, 16 GB Ram
0 Kudos
gbruno
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I found a compiling error described here:

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/VMware-Workstation-Full-16-2-3-19376536-mod... 

perhaps someone knows gcc well enough to correct this error!

Greetings GBruno

0 Kudos
dodgy__penguin
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
gbruno
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Meanwhile I found a solution which should work with all kernel-versions and all Ubuntus like mate etc. I used Ubuntu 22.04.

https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Workstation-Pro/VM-Workstation-16-1-gt-16-2-1-on-Ubuntu-21-...

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
aminadha
Contributor
Contributor

EXTRA_CFLAGS += -I/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/7.3.1/include/ to the beginning of Makefile in rtl8723au directory.

0 Kudos
JHUDrescher
Contributor
Contributor

Dear Colleagues,

it was so naive of me to buy a license and not to check the release notes which are themselves are just referring to the compatibility matrix.

Could you please help me to fix the build by a script by handy advices?

I shall better use VirtualBox, I know.

VMware Workstation is expensive and may optimize their customer services.

Do they have issues with Linux, the main and only platform, especially of their cloud service?

Khap khun krab
York

0 Kudos
AndreaSoc1
Contributor
Contributor

work for me! thanks!!!

0 Kudos
bopileb295
Contributor
Contributor

same problum with fedora