VMware Communities
its_me_here
Contributor
Contributor

Unable to install ISO Image

Hi, I am new to this forum, though I have been using VMWare workstation for a long time. I have a Win 10 Enterprise  64 bit PC in which I have installed VMWare Worksation. I tried to create a virtual machine in it using the iso image of teh same OS version.(1511 64 bit). But after pointing to the iso image during new virtual machine creation and power on,  am geting the below error:

"The 64 bit applocation couldnt' load becaouse your  PC doesnt have a 64 bit processor. " I have attached the screenshot. But since I am running 64 bit OS in host and its is 64 bit processor also. So shouldn't VMWare load the image? What could be the issue? How can I solve this. Thanks in advance.Screen.png

0 Kudos
6 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Ensure that you have selected Windows 10 x64 as the guest OS in the VM's configuration: VM menu > Settings > Options tab > General, under Guest Operating System.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
z_chris
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Also verify that you have the virtualization options enabled on the BIOS.

0 Kudos
its_me_here
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, thanks yo for the reply. There are OS versions upto Windows 8 under the Guest operating system in General tab. Win10 is not listed. I also suspect about Virtualisation as dariusd suggested..Thanks.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You might be able to make it work if you choose Windows 8 x64.  The important part is that you must tell VMware Workstation that you are installing a 64 bit guest OS, so go for one of the 64-bit or "x64" options.

With the 64-bit guest OS type selected, you may then get an error message if your computer doesn't have hardware virtualization (Intel VT) enabled, in which case you should ensure that your CPU supports Intel VT and that it's enabled in your host machine's BIOS setup.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
its_me_here
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. The host doesn't have Inter VT enabled. Is it only applicable for 64 bit OSs only? Can I install a 32-bit image without the support of virtualization?

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, on an Intel processor without VT, you can install 32-bit guest OS versions.

Have you checked your processor model and BIOS settings for VT support?  It might be as simple as going into BIOS setup and enabling the appropriate setting and then you'd be able to install 64-bit guests.  (If your physical processor actually lacks VT, or if your BIOS won't allow you to enable it, you would be limited to 32-bit guests.)  If you would like help checking your physical processor, find a vmware.log from inside your existing virtual machine's directory, post that file here as an attachment and we will be able to figure it out from that.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos