VMware Communities
MrSpaM
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu completely fails to install any more

Hi All,

Hoping somebody can help with a problem I'm having installing the latest Ubuntu on to a vSphere client. I've done many ubuntu installs in the past and this is the first time I've had this issue. It seems to be with the most recent Ubuntu desktop release.

I'm attempting to install the Ubuntu operating system on a fresh virtual machine using the 64 bit distro on the Ubuntu site. When I boot the machine to install the OS, I get the dreaded 'Low graphics mode' error before it boots to the Ubuntu live desktop where the "Install OS to hard drive) icon is. From the next menu, I then have no control with the mouse whatsoever, and attempting to boot into low graphics mode selecting the options with the keyboard just boots to a black screen. As far as I can tell there is no other way of installing the Ubuntu OS without first accessing the live desktop.

I've tried everything I can think of, including increasing the graphics RAM in the virtual machine settings, nothing works.

I can't install VMWare tools (which I have read would solve the issue) as the operating system is not installed yet.

Can anybody help with this? moving away from Ubuntu isn't an option as our technical team are used to using it.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you post your .vmx file?

0 Kudos
MrSpaM
Contributor
Contributor

Here it is

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You didn't say what version of VMware product you're using however I see in the .vmx configuration file that virtualHW.version is set to 7 and I do not believe that Ubuntu 14.04.01 is supported on VMware products using that virtualHW.version.  The only suggestion I have other then using supported version of Guest OSes for the VMware product(s) being used is you could add the following .vmx configuration file option and see if it gets you past the black screen.  However that will probably not be your only issue, VMware Tools might not install properly too.

mks.enable3D = FALSE

Have a look at: View the Guest/Host OS tab on the VMware Compatibility Guide Web site. & Virtual machine hardware versions (1003746)

0 Kudos