VMware Communities
S3gFaw1t
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu as a guest, pulling hair out.

I've been running linux VM's on top of Window for ages now for work. I quit using workstation few years back and moved to virtualbox because workstation at the time had some quirks I could never resolve. Now virtual box is quirky as hell and can't get any linux distro working well on it. So now I'm giving workstation 15 a demo.

I can't get everything working in a single distro of linux. I prefer Ubuntu Mate but I can't get shared folders working. My second prefernce, Xubuntu, I can't even get that far. Desktop resizing won't work.

Is there a guide to actually getting Ubuntu working smoothly with all guest additions working? If not, ANY distro of linux? I don't care at this point, I just need a current generation linux distro working with bridged networking, shared folders working, bi-directional clipboard working, desktop resizing working. And doesn't feel clunky once running when open/closing stuff, scrolling a browser with the mouse wheel, or dragging windows around. Not sure why this is so "clunky" and "rough" now.

I have a high-end system running Windows 10 Pro. (until last week I was running Windows 8, lost my SSD, replaced it and decided to move to Windows 10 since I had a free license) Now I can't get my linux VM's working in virtualbox or workstation.

So hoping this forum can help me. Workstation is pretty pricey so in order for me to fork out that kind of money I need to see a linux distro working relatively smoothly in this.

System specs:

12-core proc

64GB Ram

Nvidia 1080Ti video board (running at 3840x2160)

2x512GB SSD attached to a hardware raid controller, configured as raid0

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager

Did you install VMware Tools from Workstation or did you install with apt-get install open-vm-tools-desktop?

VMware Tools is the key for all the areas you're referring to.

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF
0 Kudos