VMware Communities
TCPulley
Contributor
Contributor

Ubuntu 24.04 Beta Guest on Windows 10 Crashes VMWare Workstation Pro 16 and 17

I'm running the latest version of Windows 10 Pro. Ubuntu 24.04 installs without any problems but hangs after startup. The guest stops responding, the fans spin up for a min or two followed by and error message that the connection to the sandbox was lost. Occasionally Workstation will crash. I've tried different VM configs without success. I don't have problems installing or running any other version of Ubuntu as a guest.

Hardware is a Lenovo Legion 7i 11th gen i7 64GB ram, NVidia RTX 3070. 

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Any suggestions?

3 Replies
DCasota
Expert
Expert

Hi,

typically the VMware support asks you to share the support bundle of the affected VM whenever this issue is reproduced by following below steps-

Help->Support->Collect Support Data

0 Kudos
TCPulley
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks. I'll do that later today. This happened late last night and is the first time I've ever encountered anything like this in all my years of using Workstation Pro.

What I find surprising is that the arm build of 24.04 desktop runs without a problem in Fusion on Sonoma. 

0 Kudos
DCasota
Expert
Expert

I confirm that the issue is reproducible with https://cdimage.ubuntu.com/daily-live/current/noble-desktop-amd64.iso , default vm settings, on VMware Workstation 17.5.1, external monitor attached, on W11, Lenovo i9, RTX4070.

Workaround: Right after creating the virtual machine and before starting it, disable 3d graphics acceleration in vm settings.