VMware Communities
Vamsic
Contributor
Contributor

This version of ESX requires a CPU capable of 64-bit operation.

Hello Experts,

I recently bought an intel-Core2duo-E7400 processor(VT-enabled) and a compatible mother board

with the VT enable/disable option in the BIOS.

When I try to install ESX-4 on work station 6.5 it gives the error as "This version of ESX requires a CPU capable of 64-bit operation."

The processor supports 64bit,EMT64t and VT-enabled. I have also set the option of Intel-v in the CPU setting of the VM.

Could you please suggest me what could be done to over come this? Your inputs are highly valuable.

Thanks

Vamsi

0 Kudos
31 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

See .

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

According to Intel, the E7400 does not support VT.

0 Kudos
Vamsic
Contributor
Contributor

E7400 supports VT.I have attached a screenshot of the e7400 with VT-x option.I have got the same chip.

You can find the same at this URL

I can also see the Intel-VT featured written on the processor box.

Could you suggest me the probable reasons for a CPU showing up the message "This version of ESX requires a CPU capable of 64-bit operation" ,even though it is VT enabled?

0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert

Check to see if your motherboard manufacturer has a later BIOS available for your motherboard.

Datto

0 Kudos
Datto
Expert
Expert

Also, check to be sure that you're using Red Hat Linux 5 64bit as the client type when you building the VM for VMware Workstation.

Also, make sure you're using VMware Workstation 6.5.3 and have chosen Workstation 6.5 as the version type when building your VM.

If you're not already, use this document to build your ESX 4.0 VM under VMware Workstation:

http://xtravirt.com/xd10089

Datto

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can you post a vmware.log file for your ESX VM?

0 Kudos
TomHowarth
Leadership
Leadership

This is a VMware Workstation question therefore I am moving the post to that sub forum.

If you found this or any other answer useful please consider the use of the Helpful or correct buttons to award points

Tom Howarth VCP / vExpert

VMware Communities User Moderator

Blog: www.planetvm.net

Contributing author for the upcoming book "[VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment|http://my.safaribooksonline.com/9780136083214]”. Currently available on roughcuts

Tom Howarth VCP / VCAP / vExpert
VMware Communities User Moderator
Blog: http://www.planetvm.net
Contributing author on VMware vSphere and Virtual Infrastructure Security: Securing ESX and the Virtual Environment
Contributing author on VCP VMware Certified Professional on VSphere 4 Study Guide: Exam VCP-410
0 Kudos
Saadat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What do you use for your Guest operating System? is it 64bit or 32 bit? (By guest I mean the OS that you are running your VMware WorkStation on it)

If you don't have 64 bit Guest OS, then you can not create a 64bit VM.

Let us know what guest OS are you using.

Thanks,

http://www.linkedin.com/in/ernestsaadat
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Hi Saadat - we usually use the terms guest and host the other way round. The guest is the OS inside the VM and the host is the OS that runs VMware.

And in this case the guest is ESX4 and this guest can run on 32bit and 64 bit hosts

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
Saadat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

Continuum is right, Host Operating system is the OS that you have installed on your computer directly, and then you have installed VMware workstation on it.

and Guest OS is your virtual Machine that you want to use it as ESX 4 Server.

What I meant in my previous post was Host OS, But it seems (not sure) that Host OS is not important. As long as you have a supported 64bit CPU you should be able to create 32bit or 64bit Virtual Machines.

I never tested this myself because If I use a 32bit Host OS, I will limit myself to 4GB of RAM and that is not enough memory to run two or three ESX Servers in VMware Workstation.

According to VMware user guide

"Support for 64-Bit Guest Operating Systems

Workstation supports virtual machines with 64‐bit guest operating systems, running

on host machines with the following processors:

Revision D or later of AMD Athlon 64, Opteron, Turion 64, and Sempron

Intel Pentium 4 and Core 2 processors with EM64T and Intel Virtualization

Technology

Workstation supports virtual machines with 64‐bit guest operating systems only on

host machines that have one of the supported 64‐bit processors. When you power on a

virtual machine with a 64‐bit guest operating system, Workstation performs an internal

check. If the host CPU is not a supported 64‐bit processor, you cannot power on the

virtual machine.

VMware also provides a standalone utility that you can use without Workstation to

perform the same check and determine whether your CPU is supported for

Workstation virtual machines with 64‐bit guest operating systems. Download the 64‐bit

processor check utility from the downloads area of the VMware Web site.

Workstation supports virtual machines with 64‐bit guest operating systems only in

versions 5.5 and later. If your version of Workstation is 5.0 or earlier, upgrade to version

6.0 or later for 64‐bit guest operating system support. A virtual machine created in

Workstation version 5.5 with a 64‐bit operating system cannot be powered on or

resumed in Workstation versions 5.0 and earlier."

0 Kudos
Vamsic
Contributor
Contributor

I am getting the error" This version of ESX requires a CPU capable of 64-bit operation", when I was trying to install ESX 4.0 in a VM of work station 6.5.2.

I strictly followed the document , which is meant for building ESX 4.0 VM under VMware Workstation.

I tried with the workstation installed on both win xp professional and also on win 2003 x64.

The following log is taken from vmware.log.

This host does not support VT. You have configured this virtual machine to use a 64-bit guest operating system. However, this host is not capable of running 64-bit virtual machines or this virtual machine has 64-bit support disabled. For more detailed information, see .

According to the URL ,my processor e7400 supports VT-x. I have enabled the VT option in the BIOS too.

Currently my BIOS is on version 65, Intel currently providing the latest BIOS (version-68) for my DG31PR mother board..Shall I go for a BIOS update?

But the version-68 doesn't have a fix for any of the VT related issues.

Only the following are fixed in version-68. Shall I go for a BIOS update still?

New Fixes/Features:

• Changed post Logo file to correct resolution.

• Added support to block BIOS update if using new LAN Chip.

New Fixes/Features:

• Fixed issue where microcode does not get updated when flashing

BIOS version from 0053 to 0064.

• Fixed issue where setting hard drive pre-delay has no affect on

boot time.

• Fixed issue where wrong CPU temperature is displayed.

Please find the attached doc for more detailed information.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Please post the entire vmware.log file as an attachment.

0 Kudos
a2alpha
Expert
Expert

Have you tried using Workstation 7, it is in beta but it supports ESX as a guest.

http://communities.vmware.com/community/beta/workstation

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Have you tried using Workstation 7, it is in beta but it supports ESX as a guest.

The problem seems to be the board which does not support VT - changing to WS 7 will not change this

VMX-parameters- VMware-liveCD - VM-Sickbay

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

The problem is actually with the CPU. Either it really doesn't support VT (two out of three E7400 skus don't support VT), or it suffers from erratum AW67 (see Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E8000 Series and E7000 Series Specification Update). A glance at the vmware.log file would help to decide which it is.

0 Kudos
Saadat
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

According to this post http://clintspot.blogspot.com/2009/01/vmware-cpu-vt-features-and-asus.html which has a similar problem with a different mainboard, I would recommend to upgrade the Bios.

See if that solves the problem.

Thanks,

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Have you checked that (if it exists) "Trusted Execution" is disabled in the host BIOS?

AWo
VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

=Due to lack of employees, human beings work here. - Treat them carefully, they are rare.=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
Vamsic
Contributor
Contributor

The problem is actually with the CPU. Either it really doesn't support VT (two out of three E7400 skus don't support VT), or it suffers from erratum AW67 (see Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E8000 Series and E7000 Series Specification Update). A glance at the vmware.log file would help to decide which it is.

The E7400 processor that I am having supports VT. The processors SPEC Code is "SLGW3".You can find the details of the processor in the below url.

My processor is mentioned in row two(BX80571E7400).

Please find the attached vmware.log file and kindly suggest me a solution for this.

0 Kudos
Vamsic
Contributor
Contributor

Have you checked that (if it exists) "Trusted Execution" is disabled in the host BIOS?

AWo

VCP / VMware vEXPERT 2009

=Due to lack of employees, human beings work here. - Treat them carefully, they are rare.=

I don't find any "Trusted Execution" option in the BIOS.But i can see a option called XD which is set to enabled.

0 Kudos