VMware Communities
wowhsieh
Contributor
Contributor

The physical disk is already in used ... Module DiskEarly power on failed. Fail to start the virtual machine... ?!

VM Host: Win7 Ultimate x64

VM Guest: Win7 Enterprise x64

VM Workstation: 10.0

Every time when power-on VM Guest, there was an error "The physical disk is already in used ... Module DiskEarly power on failed. Fail to start the virtual machine...", I have to close VM Workstation and then delete all *.lck & *.log files in the VM folder, then reboot VM Host Windows. Is there a way to fix that?  :smileyconfused:

(I always shutdown VM Guest's Win7 before shutdown VM Host.)

0 Kudos
6 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Is "Windows 7 x64-22.vmdk" mapped to a physical disk? Maybe the disk/partition is in use by the host OS!?

André

0 Kudos
wowhsieh
Contributor
Contributor

Power on VM Guest is the first thing after turning on Host each time, so I think disk/partition didn't use by host in that moment.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Using physical disks with a Win7 host is a pain - try to avoid it at all costs.

If you still need to do it - make sure that the physical disk can be configured as "full device"
"partitioned device" may work but only if the assigned partition is not part of any disk that Windows needs.

Take preparations that the configured disk or single partition does not have a driveletter when you start the VM.
Also you will need to start Workstation via "run as admin" in case you use physical disks - on some win7 hosts you may also need to turn UAC off.

Generally speaking I would not expect that the constellation Win7 host,WS 10 and a Win7 VM using a physical disk will be healthy for a extended use-period.
Why do you want to do that ? - the performance gain that you may eventually acchieve with that setup does in no way justify the additional risks.

If you need to run physical disks regularly use a Windows Server host or Linux host ... (or VirtualBOX eventually )

And in case you get it to work ... NEVER SUSPEND THE GUEST and DO NOT SNAPSHOT THE GUEST - or you risk sertious corruption the next time you reboot the host.

0 Kudos
wowhsieh
Contributor
Contributor

The VM Guest contains OS+App, all data files are in another physical disk, VM Guest need to access data files.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

In that case I would try to use a simple Windows-fileshare instead - that is safe and reliable.

You have not told us anything about your physical disks - to help you with physical disks we need details !

0 Kudos
wowhsieh
Contributor
Contributor

It's a laptop with two physical SATA disks...

First one physical disk is for VM Host and VM Guests (VM Host is Win7 Ultimate x64; VM Guests are Win7 Enterprise x64 & apps and other OS like Linux / Win Server/...).

Second one physical disk is for data files only.

File sharing is a good way that I did use in my PCs, but there may not suitable for some situation.

0 Kudos