VMware Communities
leoalvesmachado
Contributor
Contributor

The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system.

Hi everyone,

I'm using VMware Workstation 6.5.1. I have a Ubuntu virtual machine, created on a Windows XP and a 32bit processor. It was suspended when I've migrated the machine to a HP Z600 workstation (64 bit processor) with Windows 7.

When I tried to run it for the first time, I got a message telling me that "the features supported by the processor in this machine are different". I've eddited the .vmx file allowing me to log to the machine, however, the graphics were "all shuffled" and I could not see a thing, so I've shut down the VM (stop button on the VMware workstation). Now, when I try to turn it on again, I get the message from the title (The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system).

I've already tried to edit the Power Processor Management, reducing the Minimum processor state to 5% and 1%, but I've got no results. I also don't have any snapshots of this machine to try a previous state. I have a backup of the machine, but in the suspended state (state from the beginning, with the message "the features supported by the processor in this machine are different"; it would take some hours to recover it, if needed), and I don't have the old (physical) machine (winXP 32bit) anymore.

Can you help me recover my vm?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
15 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

can you please provide a list of files in the VMs folder (showing all details) as well as the vmware*.log files!?

André

0 Kudos
leoalvesmachado
Contributor
Contributor

Hi André.

Thanks for your attention.

Here they are (Attached in a zip folder)

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Even though it might be possible to fix the VM's configuration files, I'd suggest you remove the VM from the inventory, rename the folder, create a new VM with the same specs and attach the existing virtual disk (after moving it to the new VM's folder) instead of creating a new one. This would end up in a VM with a different MAC address, however I assume this would not be an issue!?

André

0 Kudos
leoalvesmachado
Contributor
Contributor

Hi André

Thanks again for your attention. Unfortunately, I've created the virtual machine and it is getting the same errors - "The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. You will need to power off or reset the virtual machine at this point."

I've attached the new machine I've created. I've used this site to create it in a fast way: http://www.easyvmx.com/easyvmx.shtml

The main concern I have is with the data in the disk. It took me a lot of time to configure the S.O. (packages, users, etc) the way I want. IP address, MAC address, USB access, floppy, CD/DVD, that's not important to me...

Do you have any other suggestion?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm almost out of ideas and to be honest, the following is more a guess. Since the old system did not support HV and the new system does, there could be something in the Linux code which does not work with the virtual mode. You may try to boot the VM with the following entries added to the vmx file.

monitor.virtual_mmu = "software"

monitor.virtual_exec = "software"

André

leoalvesmachado
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, man

However, I still could not boot the system. Now I got a Linux message - "Kernel panic - not syncing: Attepmted to kill init!".

If you have any other idea, please let me know.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

How different are the two physical CPUs?  If they are fairly close, you could try adding the following to your configuration file:

checkpoint.disableCpuCheck = "TRUE"

0 Kudos
leoalvesmachado
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your answer, but I"ve already tried that and it didn't work...

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

So, what are the physical CPUs that you are trying to migrate from and to?

0 Kudos
leoalvesmachado
Contributor
Contributor

I had a HP xw4400 - "Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz" running on a Windows XP 32-bit and now I have a HP Z600 - "Intel Xeon X5650 2.67GHz" running on Windows 7 64-bit.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Well, at least it's not across CPU vendors.  Using hardware-assisted virtualization, you should be able to spoof an E6600 on your X5650.

Try these configuration options:

monitor.virtual_exec = hardware

monitor.virtual_mmu = hardware

cpuid.1.eax = 0000:0000:0000:0000:0000:0110:0111:0110
cpuid.1.ecx = 0000:0000:0000:0000:1110:0011:1011:1101
cpuid.80000001.edx = 0010:0000:0001:0000:0000:0000:0000:0000

0 Kudos
leoalvesmachado
Contributor
Contributor

Hi jmattson,

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunatelly, I'm still getting "The CPU has been disabled by the guest operating system. You will need to power off or reset the virtual machine at this point." with the options you've mentioned.

0 Kudos
siva98493
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Leoalvesmacha,

Have you tried the below KB??

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101

Best Regards,

Siva Nallagatla

0 Kudos
leoalvesmachado
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I've tried that.

Actually, the only probelm is that this KB has a set of steps made for Windows XP, and the steps for Windows 7 are different. But I've tried reducing the minimum processor speed to 5% and to 1% on my host machine (should be the same as turn of the SpeedStep) and it still didn't work.

0 Kudos
siva98493
Contributor
Contributor

If you are trying on Windows 7, I would recommend you to disable it in BIOS.

Please enter your BIOS and disable it from the CPU Configuration Menu.

Best Regards,

Siva Nallagatla

0 Kudos