VMware Communities
FredBrown
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Suspend/Resume scripts no longer run since upgrade to WS 6.5

Since I upgraded to WS 6.5, the suspend and resume scripts no longer execute when a guest VM is suspended or resumed.

I've checked the VMware tools in the guest and they're at the latest version. The scripts are set to the default and the BAT files are in the correct folder.

My guest operating system is Windows XP SP3 and the host is Windows Server 2003 x32.

Also, the resume behaviour is different under 6.5 than it was under 6.0. Under 6.0, the resume would be in two steps: an initial resume phase that would show a progress bar, and a second phase where the status bar would show the resume progress from about 10% through to 99% before the VM was fully operational. Under 6.5, the resume seems to be a single operation where the progress bar shows the resume, after which the VM is fully operational. There's no resume progress on the status bar. I'm not sure if this is coincidental or whether this behaviour change has resulted in the suspend/resume scripts from failing to execute.

Any thoughts?

I didn't see this problem during beta testing but can't recall whether the RC versions had this problem.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Since I upgraded to WS 6.5, the suspend and resume scripts no longer execute when a guest VM is suspended or resumed.

How are you suspending and resuming the VM? You will need to use "Suspend Guest"/"Resume Guest" instead of "Suspend"/"Resume" in the VM > Power menu (or go to VM > Settings > Options > Power and configure the toolbar buttons to use the "... Guest" versions; the keyboard shortcuts also respect these settings). The "... Guest" versions go through the Tools; the bare versions don't. (I think the old behavior was from a bug and wasn't what we intended.)

Also, the resume behaviour is different under 6.5 than it was under 6.0. Under 6.0, the resume would be in two steps: an initial resume phase that would show a progress bar, and a second phase where the status bar would show the resume progress from about 10% through to 99% before the VM was fully operational. Under 6.5, the resume seems to be a single operation where the progress bar shows the resume, after which the VM is fully operational. There's no resume progress on the status bar. I'm not sure if this is coincidental or whether this behaviour change has resulted in the suspend/resume scripts from failing to execute.

Go to Edit > Preferences > Priorty and enable background snapshots. We changed the default in Workstation 6.5.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

How are you suspending and resuming the VM? You will need to use "Suspend Guest"/"Resume Guest" instead of "Suspend"/"Resume" in the VM > Power menu (or go to VM > Settings > Options > Power and configure the toolbar buttons to use the "... Guest" versions; the keyboard shortcuts also respect these settings). The "... Guest" versions go through the Tools; the bare versions don't. (I think the old behavior was from a bug and wasn't what we intended.)

Go to Edit > Preferences > Priorty and enable background snapshots. We changed the default in Workstation 6.5.

0 Kudos
FredBrown
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks!

I always wondered what the difference was between the "...guest" options and the other ones. The scripts has always run so I didn't realize there was supposed to be a difference.

As for the background snapshots, I hadn't figured that would impact the suspend/resume but thinking about it based on your answer, it makes sense.

Thanks again.

Fred

0 Kudos