VMware Communities
NoelC1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Stopped Snapshot Deletion by pressing [Cancel] - How to Clean Remaining Files

I got impatient and did something silly without thinking:  I hit the [Cancel] button on the "Cleaning up deleted files..." dialog after deleting all my snapshots.  Don't get me wrong, I wanted all the snapshots deleted; it's just that if I'd thought about it at all I would have allowed the operation to just complete normally.

It canceled right away, and I ended up with 600+ GB of .vmdk files that I couldn't see a direct way to get rid of, even though my VM has only about 200 GB of storage used.

After mulling this over a couple of days, I thought to make a new snapshot then delete it and see if the resulting cleanup would do the rest of the job.  Looks like it worked.

Thought I'd share this tidbit.  Perhaps there's a proper menu entry I didn't know about or something, but it's nice when the code actually works when tasked with doing something shall we say non-standard or atypical.  Thanks VMware!

-Noel

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

... make a new snapshot then delete it ...

I assume you ran "Delete All" which is supposed to delete/consolidate all the VM's snapshots, independent of whether they show up in the Snapshot Manager.

André

0 Kudos
NoelC1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nope.  Outside of selecting all the snapshots and pressing the [Delete] button I know of no "Delete All" function.  Please share the secret location of this feature.

In any case, whatever you cancel, creating a new snapshot then deleting it evokes a full cleanup.

-Noel

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

It's not really a secret. "Delete All" is available from within the Snapshot Manager. Depending on the client you are using it may be "hidden" under the "All Actions" menu item.

André

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

André,

That's in vSphere not VMware Workstation Smiley Wink

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Sorry, I somehow missed this. Thank's for making me aware of it.

André

0 Kudos