VMware Communities
Osomos
Contributor
Contributor

Span Monitors in VMWare Workstation 8

I've been poking around and I can't seem to find an answer to this question, so I apologize if it's been answered before somewhere.

I have a home PC that I want to use for telecommuting, but I don't want to join it to the corporate domain. My proposed solution is to create a VM on Workstation 8, then join that to the corporate domain and do all the necessary work via that.  My PC currently has two monitors, one at 1920x1080 and the other at 1650x1050. I do have the option of buying two more 1920x1080 monitors (and would like to if I can get this to work).

The problem I am having is that while I can get Workstation 8 with a guest OS of Windows 7 x64 to see the two desktop monitors, and I can enable them and be able to switch between them, I cannot get the VMWare window to span monitors. I cannot RDP to the guest OS once I am connected via VPN, so I cannot use that as an option.  I have set both monitors to the same resoution, but with the same result.  I have tried both full screen and exclusive mode.

Is it possible to make VMWare Workstation span both monitors (and eventually, 3) at all?  Am I missing something obvious?  Curiously the VMWare docs do not mention this except to say that it supports multiple monitors, so I assume I am either missing something quite obvious or no one has ever tried this before.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
mdunn-vmware
Expert
Expert

Enter full screen mode, then click the "Cycle multiple monitors" button near the right end of the toolbar, or click View->Cycle multiple monitors.

0 Kudos