VMware Communities
ewolfson
Contributor
Contributor

Snapshot manager being a lying little... problem.

Full disclosure I am not a "power user' of this program and I don't know a lot of the technical aspects. I use VM Workstation Pro to help separate customer projects while also beginning with a clean slate at the beginning of each project so as to not overwrite any customer files in the test environment. My work is contained within a program on each VM desktop, so no IT work - just basically running a GUI and setting up different workflows. 

Problem: Can't access snapshots. I receive the error message "An error occurred while reverting to a snapshot: One of the disks in this virtual machine is already in use by a virtual machine or by a snapshot."

More Info: I can freely create but not delete snapshots. Furthermore, I can access the snapshots just fine, its just that the snapshot hierarchy is not preserved. For example, if I try to jump to a different snapshot along another branch, I will receive the aformentioned popup message but the machine state will still be restored... just at my current position/branch in snapshot manager. I can run my current "You Are Here" position as well  but a prompt asks to locate the correct vmdk, though it asks for a file that is clearly present in the filepath specified. I am asked to chose the same vmdk every time, even if I jump to a different machine state. I can also modify the "nvme0:0.fileName = " line in the .vmx of that machine to jump to the correct snapshot, but again, hierarchy in the snapshot manager is not preserved with the jump and I can't locate any sort of line in the .vmx to specify this. 

I don't have this problem in any other VM I use, and while I have a working solution, I desperately need to restore some sort of organization in my work life. Similar to other threads, seemingly no impetus for this issue; working one day and not the next. I also can't seem to locate any .log files specific to the error so I'm not sure how to diagnose, but as I'm a self-admitted novice I might be looking in the wrong place. 

VMware Workstation Pro v16.2.4 build-20089737

Free disk: ~100GB

Host OS: Windows 10 Pro, 64-bit (Build 19044.1826) 10.0.19044

Labels (4)
0 Kudos
0 Replies