VMware Communities
jblaty
Contributor
Contributor

Shared Folders not working Workstation 9.0.1 on Windows 7+Ubuntu 12.10 64bit

I've built a Ubuntu 12.10 (Quantal) 64 bit VM on Workstation 9.0.1.  Host is a 6-core Windows 7 Professional 64 bit SP1 system with 32GB of physical RAM.  I've also built a Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 32 bit VM, which is running fine.

After the build and upgrade of Ubuntu to the latest kernel, I try to share folders.  I get an error message stating that this can't be done in real time:

Snap3.jpg

Subsequently, a run of vmware-hgfsclient in the terminal session of the guest VM shows the correct share name of the shared folder.  However, there is no folder of the same name mounted in /mnt/hgfs on the guest VM.

I have also rebooted the VM after enabling shared folders (always enabled) on the VM, again with no mounted shared folders in  /mnt/hgfs .

This is not the case for the Ubuntu 12.04 32bit VM running on the same system, as all shared folders are mounted correctly and automatically by VMware Tools.

Please advise.  This appears to be a problem specific to Ubuntu 12.10.  Compatibility grid shows this is a supported OS on WS 9.x.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jwatte
Contributor
Contributor

I have this problem on 13.04, too.

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Will you let me know if you still encoutered this issue with latest WS patch 9.0.2? If yes, what is your guest OS name and kernel version? Thanks!

0 Kudos
jwatte
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, it happens on 9.0.2. (At least as of last week.)

The fix I applied was documented in another thread -- the problem is the vmhgfs kernel module sources using a deprecated API that is gone in more modern kernels.

I fixed it locally by updating the vmhgfs sources to fix the problem, re-building the TAR file with the fixed sources, and then re-running the tool update pl script.

This week, I'm installing 10, so we'll see if it's fixed there. (My prediction: No.)

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Thanks! Actually the problem exists because when we shipt WS 9.0.1, Ubuntu 12.10 or Ubuntu 13.04 is not avaiable then. We are aware of this issue internally and we have bug tracking it. Thanks for your post!

0 Kudos
muddin
Contributor
Contributor

Is

0 Kudos
bonnie201110141
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Yes, seems he did.Please refer to: https://communities.vmware.com/thread/456135

0 Kudos
jwatte
Contributor
Contributor

No, jblaty has not posted that he has a solution.

In the linked work-around, I worked around it for myself, by doing kernel-level C development, which is unlikely to count as a real fix for most people.

Also, that work-around has to happen each time I upgrade VMWare tools.

0 Kudos