VMware Communities
jiaquan
Contributor
Contributor

Share virtual machines between computers.

I shared my Windows 7 virtual machine created with VMware Workstation 7.0.1 with VMware Fusion 3.0.1 on my Mac. The virtual machine contains multiple snapshots. Everything works fine so far, except every time I boot up the virtual machine, Windows 7 prompts me to reboot the system because a new processor has been installed.

I would like to request a feature for unified processor for the virtual machines, so that the identity of the processor are identical no matter where the virtual machine is running on. I am not sure if this is possible, but I have a feeling that it is impossible to tell Windows not to detect new processors.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

>

I would like to request a feature for unified processor for the virtual machines, so that the identity of the processor are identical no matter

where the virtual machine is running on.

Then you would add an additional layer between the hardware and the guest which would cost a lot of performance. VMware is designed to let the guests run on the physical CPU natively.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
jiaquan
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure how much performance it would cost to fake the CPU identifier. I am not asking to create a brand new virtual hardware, i.e. "VMware Processor", like it was done to graphic/ethernet/sound adapters, etc.. It is just always the same CPU identifier with the exactly the same instruction sets as the native CPU.

Right now, my way to workaround this annoying "install" issue, is to setup a system with Windows activated with either VMware Workstation or VMware Fusion, and then take the virtual machine to the other system to "install" the CPU at first boot. After that, re-do all my snapshots on both the PC and the Mac.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
jiaquan
Contributor
Contributor

Actually, a better work around is to create another snapshot that is optimized for this computer, based on the ones created on another computer. Basically, use the snapshot manager to navigate to the snapshot I want to use, and then just boot up the system, wait until Windows finish installing the new processor, reboot it again to make sure there is no new hardware found, before taking the snapshot that is optimized for this computer.

0 Kudos
Tundera
Contributor
Contributor

Does this mean that aside from the (rediculously annoying) processor message/reboot, you CAN safely move a VM back and forth between host machines without triggering WGA for Win7?

Also, does anyone know, based on the license terms of VMWare, if it's possible to install VMWare Workstation on two physical machines, assuming you're not using them at the same time? I currently use Workstation on my main box and Player on a remote box, but for Win7, I'd love to use snapshots more by using workstation on both machines. I'm the only user and am never using both at the same time, but I don't know the legalese enough to know if the license restricts one physical MACHINE installation or allows 2 machines used by one USER (like Adobe's licenses.) I often need my VM on a portable drive, and run it on two different boxes.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Also, does anyone know, based on the license terms of VMWare, if it's possible to install VMWare Workstation on two physical machines, assuming you're not using them at the same time?

Each machine you install Workstation on requires its own license.

0 Kudos
jiaquan
Contributor
Contributor

Does this mean ... you CAN safely move a VM back and forth between host machines without triggering WGA for Win7?

Yes, this is possible. I was using VMware Workstation 5.5.9 before upgrading to VMware Workstation 7. I created an Windows 7 virtual machine using "Window Vista (experimental)" hardware profile. When I booted up the virtual machine on my Mac (VMware Fusion 2), Windows 7 claimed there are tons of new hardware installed. It didn't prompt me to reactivate Windows right away, but it did prompted to re-activate Windows on the next day after I left it running overnight.

The virtual machine I created with VMware Workstation 7.0.1 last Friday, I left it running on my Mac for over the weekend. The only thing I have seen so far is really the processor change. The Windows activation is still valid at this point (for 3 days already). So, I think moving the VM back and forth between host machines would not trigger WGA to invalidate the virtual machine, provided one did not change the version of the hardware profile.

I just did a little more experiment today, and found that this is something new since Windows Vista. Windows XP is completely fine, and does not complain warn nor notify you the change of the physical processor.

NOTE: When one does this, please make sure you are fully compliance with the license agreement from Microsoft too.

0 Kudos