VMware Communities
cane_cubo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Several problems after Gutsy (7.10) upgrade

I'm running 6.02-build-59824 on a stock Vista Business system. Copied a 7.04 VM from another system, worked fine. Upgraded to 7.10, still worked fine. Then re-installed VMWare tools (mistake).

1) There was an error compiling the hgfs module. I saw a fix for this on the net, so it seems work-around-able.

2) Mouse wonkiness. When running full-screen, non-exclusive (i.e. with VMWare toolbar in top-mid screen) two pointers occasionally show up, a windows one and a Linux one, areas of the screen become inaccesible to the mouse.

3) Scroll-wheel no longer works.

Is there a way to regress to an older set of vmware tools?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
9 Replies
claytonhinkle
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am having the exact same problems with the double cursor in full screen mode and lack of a mouse wheel. Would be very interested if anyone had any ideas. Thanks! --Clayton

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Not sure about the others, but scrolling can be regained by editing the Protocol of the mouse section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf, you want to change "ps/2" to "imps/2".

cane_cubo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you etung, that worked great for the scrolling. Now for the other matters....

0 Kudos
Noel
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

I don't know if it is intentional or not, but I did notice that

$  diff -u xorg.conf.old.3 xorg.conf

--- xorg.conf.old.3     2007-10-27 16:00:27.000000000 -0400

+++ xorg.conf   2007-10-27 16:02:54.000000000 -0400

@@ -50,7 +50,7 @@

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier      "Configured Mouse"

-       Driver          "vmmouse"

+       Driver          "mouse"

Option          "CorePointer"

Option          "Device"                "/dev/input/mice"

Option          "Protocol"              "ps/2"

@@ -139,25 +139,11 @@

InputDevice     "cursor"        "SendCoreEvents"

InputDevice     "eraser"        "SendCoreEvents"

InputDevice     "XWorkAround"

-       InputDevice     "XWorkAround"

-       InputDevice     "XWorkAround"

EndSection

Section "DRI"

Mode    0666

EndSection

-

-Section "InputDevice"

-       Identifier  "XWorkAround"

-       Driver      "void"

-EndSection

-

-

-Section "InputDevice"

-       Identifier  "XWorkAround"

-       Driver      "void"

-EndSection

-

Section "Monitor"

Identifier      "vmware"

VendorName      "VMware, Inc"

Notice that vmmouse was changed to mouse. It seems that VMware shipped vmmouse for XOrg 7.1, and hasn't shipped for XOrg 7.2, which is in Gutsy (7.10). Seems to be a revision to the days of but the VMware folks can tell us for sure.

See also:

I did install the xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse, and it works. VMware should let us know if we should use that package or one of their own provded driver builds.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

0 Kudos
cane_cubo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Awesome, thanks. That thread solves the mouse problem. Note that the version of the vmware-tools-config script on my system was slightly different than the one in the posting referenced above, which pertains to Fusion. In particular, the last edit given by the poster did not apply to me, and in the other cases the line numbers were slightly different.

For some reason all the network interfaces were disabled after I re-ran the tools config, so I had to manually re-enable eth0 by uncommenting its line in /etc/networking/interfaces.

jds

0 Kudos
Noel
Expert
Expert
Jump to solution

> For some reason all the network interfaces were disabled after I re-ran the tools config, so I had to manually re-enable eth0 by uncommenting its line in /etc/networking/interfaces

Known defect that has been discussed on the Ubuntu side of the fence. Search for "roaming mode" and "vmware". You're performing the workaround. One person reported it working with 6.02, but I can't reproduce his success either. I've also performed the edit to hack vmware-config-tools.pl to consider XOrg 1.x to be 7.x, and that's cleaner and more complete than simply replacing mouse with vmmouse as in my earlier post.

0 Kudos
Tweener
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Excuse me, where did you find the fix to the vmhgfs problem?

Thanks

0 Kudos
mjekic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I can't get my internet to work after using this fix. I have no idea what to do to get the internet running in Ubuntu again.

0 Kudos