VMware Communities
mcnubbles
Contributor
Contributor

Setting Up Network In VM **Need Help**

Here the deal:

I'm using VMware Workstation and I have a Windows Server 2008 VM installed (guest OS). I want to seperate this guest OS into its own network... seperate from my Host machine (Windows XP). So my Windows Server should not be able to communicate with my Host machine or recieve an internet connection. I want to be able to communicate with another VM (possible a Windows XP VM). How do I go about doing this? I know I'll have to create my own network through "Local Area Connection Properties" on my Windows machines. My question is on VMware, through the settings, what do I set my VM as? Bridged network? Custom network? Also, within the actual windows VM's how can I get these machines to connect? Perhaps you can set up a sample IP, subnet, and gateway that would work? Thank you so much!!!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the forums!

If you want to have an isolated guest (no communication to anywhere) you need to setup a custom network within VMware Workstation. Open the Virtual network Editor from the menu bar and choose a free VMnet network (VMnet2 for example). Give it an IP subnet address and that's it (clieck on the ">" next to the network).

After that open the guest hardware settings and choose "Custom Network" for the virtual NIC type. Choose the network you configured in the first step. Setup the IP stack in the guest like you do in any other Windows host. Use the IP network address choosen for the virtual network. As this is an isolated network you do not need a default gateway. Any guest connected to this network can communicate to other guests connected to this network.

If you found this information useful, please consider awarding points for "Correct" or "Helpful" replies. Thanks!!

AWo

VCP / vEXPERT 2009

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos