VMware Communities
Daltone
Contributor
Contributor

(Seemingly) Random Crash - V-Thread 11

Host:      Win 10 Anniversary 64

Guest:    Win 7 64 Pro

Ever since moving to Windows 10 I have had VM Ware Workstation Player drop out on me with an error about V-Thread 11 at seemingly random intervals. Has anyone else had this problem? Log files are attached.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

You've provided a good collection of log files, but it seems you have missed the important log file(s) as well as the important information in the error message (the line after the vthread-11 part is the important bit)... You've provided a vmx log (vmware.log) and a unity-helper log (vmware-unity-helper-956.log), neither of which show a crash, and a windows minidump from the UI, showing that the UI did at some point crash.

Next time it crashes, take a note of the log filename in the crash report, and then – without relaunching Workstation or your VMs – grab a copy of that logfile.  Alternatively, launch Workstation and use the Help menu item to collect support information (which should grab all the relevant log files and then some), and attach the resulting file here or post it via Dropbox.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Daltone
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, will do.

I'm not terribly au fait with VMWare. Sure it will go again at some point today!

0 Kudos
Neverlyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I have been having the same issue for about 5 months; Workstation 12 & 12.5 gives me vthread crash every few hours.

I don't know if it is coincidental, but another user with the same issue also had the same series Motherboard as myself: ASUS Maximus VIII

0 Kudos
Daltone
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah exactly the same motherboard as it happens...

EDIT - as a test I have killed any and all of the 'bonus' ASUS processes. Nothing to do now but wait.

What happens to me is -

1. VM Ware Crashes

2. Attempt to open it, find it is locked

3. Restart host machine

4. Open VM

It seems that unless I complete step two each time, restarting the computer doesn't always clear the lock. Weird (or maybe I just don't understand how it all works).

0 Kudos
Daltone
Contributor
Contributor

Morning,

I left the VM running over night, came back and found it with the error message up (pic attached.) So long as I don't click 'ok' the VM continues to run as normal.

Screenshot of the error message and relevant log file attached.

Thanks

Ed

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Some piece of software running on your host system is interfering with one of VMware Workstation's low-level functions in a way that should never happen.  Usually it's a piece of security software or antimalware software (some of which can be particularly aggressive and intrusive), but there's also a piece of software named "ASUS AI Suite III" installed which has "hooked" into VMware Workstation in a way which could potentially cause trouble.

It's pretty difficult to predict (with any degree of confidence) which might be the cause here, but I'd start by going into the ASUS AI Suite 3 utility and disabling the EPU's "Away Mode" functionality.  The Internet has lots of other reports of stability problems from that tool and particularly its "Away Mode" feature...  Another option would be to see if there is an updated version of the AI Suite software available for your system.

Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

--

Darius

dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hmmm... and there are also reports (https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?board_id=1&model=X79-DELUXE&id=20140316060356859&page=1&SLangua...) that disabling "Away Mode" doesn't actually disable Away Mode.  You might need to uninstall the AI Suite III software completely in order to see if it is the culprit.

--

Darius

Daltone
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks - I've uninstalled the thing just to make sure. I'll give the VM another 24 hour run and see if it goes again. Hopefully it wont!

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hmmm... Looking deeper into the logs, your crash is identical to that reported by a handful of other users with ASUS motherboards over here: Workstation Pro - vthread Crash

I'd be interested to hear whether uninstalling ASUS AI Suite changes things on your system, but now I have doubts as to whether it will help...

How does your host hardware compare to those given in that other thread?  Is yours also an ASUS MAXIMUS system?

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Neverlyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Given we appear to be in the same sinking boat, I would be very interested to know of any progress.

As an aside you don't have to restart you host to get you VM running again, just delete the .lck folders.

Linked is a post of mine with a PowerShell script to delete the .lck folders and restart your VM: Re: VMWare Player unrecoverable error: (vthread-11)

My thread on the same issue: Workstation Pro - vthread Crash

Good Luck!

P.S. I really wish we could get a VMware support engineer to purchase one of our motherboards and run some tests... I think that's the only way we will get a resolution.

0 Kudos
Daltone
Contributor
Contributor

The good news is that the V-Thread 11 crash is no more!

The bad news is that I now have a V-Thread 10 crash (log and screenshots attached).

What is the BIOS revision on your motherboard Neverlyn‌? Have you got any of the other ASUS software installed? I am going to start taking it out one program at a time to see if I can get different error numbers / a stable work environment. Thanks for the powershell script by the way!

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The number of the "vthread" is usually not important.  The next line is the part which generally identifies the nature of the crash.  It's still "NOT_IMPLEMENTED bora\lib\pollDefault\pollDefault.c:3914", so it is still failing in the same way.

I'd be interested to hear the results of your ongoing experiments.  It's fairly clear that something bundled in/on/with your system (and likely the other affected users' ASUS systems too) is in some way triggering this problem.

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Neverlyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm running BIOS Version 1902 on an ASUS Maximus VIII (Extreme Edition). Though I have tried several others with no noticeable difference.

On my CPU I receive both vthread 8 and vthread 9 error messages; seems to be fairly random.

It was recommended to me that I uninstall the ASUS AI Suite which made zero difference.

Just did a search for ASUS programs and I appear to have a few installed:

• ASUS HomeCloud Launcher (1.01.04)
  • ASUS GPU TweakII (1.1.8.3)
  • ROGRAMCACHE (1.07.18)
  • WebStorage (2.2.6.547)
  • ASUS GPU TweakII (1.1.8.3)
  • ROG Game First III (1.00.32)
  • Asus Sonic Suite Plugins (2.2.701)
  • ASUS Lighting Control (1.00.08)
  • ASUS Boot Setting (1.00.22)
  • XTUPackage (1.0.0)
  • Media Streamer (3.00.15)
  • HyStream (1.00.12)
  • ASUS Product Register Program (1.0.030)
  • ROG RAMDisk (2.02.06)
  • MemTweakIt (2.02.22)
  • ASUS ROG Connect Plus (1.00.30)
  • Wi-Fi GO! (5.00.24)

I'll start uninstalling one each day and see if I have any success.

0 Kudos
Daltone
Contributor
Contributor

I have a Maximums VIII Hero so definitely something in common

Got about 12 hours out of the VM today before it went with

2016-09-27T14:33:50.810+01:00| vthread-5| I125: POLL could not signal socket thread (fd 2028, ret -1, err 10054)

2016-09-27T14:33:50.810+01:00| vmplayer| I125: SOCKET 2 (2124) recv error 10054: An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

2016-09-27T14:33:50.812+01:00| vthread-11| W115: POLL Failed to read from the signal socket 2096, return -1, error 10054/An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

2016-09-27T14:33:50.812+01:00| vmplayer| I125: Detected automation socket close for VM (D:\Virtual Machines\PCS7_V8_1\PCS7_V8_1.vmx)

2016-09-27T14:33:50.812+01:00| vthread-11| W115: POLL Failed to read from the signal socket 2096, return -1, error 10054/An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host

2016-09-27T14:33:50.812+01:00| vmplayer| I125: POLL could not signal socket thread (fd 2028, ret -1, err 10054)

I've just got rid of ROGRAMCACHE, so will try that. After that I am looking at Game First III.

I currently only have

- Game First III

- ASUS Boot Setting

- ROG Ram Disk

- Mem TweakIt

- XTUPackage Win7

- Asus Sonic Suite Plugins

which are published by ASUSTekComputerInc, so hopefully getting rid of one of those will sort it.

0 Kudos
Daltone
Contributor
Contributor

Since uninstalling Game First I haven't seen any crashes. Have to wait and see I guess

0 Kudos
Neverlyn
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You might be on a winner... I have uninstalled it too and have not had a crash in two days. Will wait and see.

0 Kudos