VMware Communities
hprem991
Contributor
Contributor

Restoring of the .vmdk file after reinstallation of the vmware player.

Hi Everybody,

I am havin some confusion regarding the restoration of the .vmdk files.

As during reinstallaiton of the OS, I made a backup of all the vmware data's in the .vmdk files . Now I ma having a fresh copy of the vmware now i just wanted to have those data back to the same status as it was..

The problem statement is here. As before my VMWare was running Fedora as the OS and all the .vmdk data files are created by Fedora but I want to run Ubuntu in my Virtual machine. So, can I get those data restored? or else I need to install Fedora only to make those data available.

Any pointers are highly appreciated.

With Thanks in Advance,

Prem

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Tsjo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It shouldn't matter which OS the host is running.

Create a new VM and select the option to use an existing disk when you're going through the creation wizard and choose your .vmdk.

If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
hprem991
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Tsjo.

yes it is I found the same thing. ...  We don't even need OS if you have the .vmdk file it seems. I am able to get it resolved even though I don't have Fedora right now but only the .vmdk files created by Fedora.

0 Kudos