VMware Communities
Lifeguard75016
Contributor
Contributor

‘Remove from the library instead of Delete from the Disk’

Hi,

I am very novice using VMware.

I have erased the Virtual Machine...

I am very novice. I wish to recover the files .vmx  et *. *.vmdk..

I have opc server and client using 2 VM player .

I am novice.

Is anyone could you give the way or step to manage to recover the files and have my application running.

Thank you for help.

regards,

0 Kudos
12 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

how exactly did you erase the VM ?

just removing it from the library does not delete it.

If you have no vmdk-files inside the directory of the VM the only chance is to immediatly stop using that drive and use undelete tools

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Please tell me what you did means which option is selected by you to remove the vm:-

1. REMOVE FROM INVENTORY - IF IT IS REMOVED FROM INVENTORY YOU CAN GET IT BACK BECAUSE IT IS UNREGISTERED ONLY BUT THE FILES ARE STILL IN THE DATASTORE. TO RECOVER THAT VM:-

BROWSE THE DATASTORE WHERE THE VM WAS -- OPEN THE VM FOLDER -- THEN RIGHT CLICK ON THE .VMX FILE AND CLICK ADD TO INVENTORY.

2. DELETE FROM DISK - NOW IT IS DELETED COMPLETLY. YOU CAN ONLY RECOVER THESE VM's IF YOU HAVE THE BACKUP OTHERWISE NOT.

HOPE THIS IS WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
Lifeguard75016
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, I delete from the disk . I click Delete from the disk. I do not see any file vmx or vmdk in my real OS.

No back up. I am novice .

Some solution which I find  is to create a new VMware station,and then use the option of hard disk ?

It is a little difficult to communicate the situation because I am novice.

I HAVE DELETE FROM  THE DISK and I have no back up .

How to recover VMX  VMDK files can be recovered ?

Thank you your answer. I am very novice in the forum

regards.

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

THEN IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO RECOVER IT

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

Only option you have now is to SHUTDOWN the host immediatly and boot it into a LiveCD with Recovery tools

0 Kudos
RanjnaAggarwal
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

ANY HARD DISK DATA RECOVERY TOOL ON PHYSICAL DISK YOU CAN RUN IF THE VM WAS A VERY CRITICAL VM FOR YOU

Regards, Ranjna Aggarwal
0 Kudos
Lifeguard75016
Contributor
Contributor

Ok..but the type of fil is VMX and VMDK. the recovery tool are common for other type of file.( jpeg, doc.etc...)

I prefer to have an answer of someone have seen this kind of problem .

No vmx and vndk in my initial folder because the' Delete from the disk ' in the virtual disk have erased these file in the reel hard disk.

I know it is possible to find a solution

thank you again for your reactivity.

regards.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

The vmx-file is not important - you should look for the vmdk first of all.
Which tools did you try so far ?

0 Kudos
Lifeguard75016
Contributor
Contributor

many tools (free ,trial version ..)

As I am very novice, I explain;

everything was ok. I have had 2 VM player, one for a operator system,one for monitoring system, they communicated togother via the port network configuration.

I have just did this action;remove from the disk because I have tried to clean the VMplayer display ( other vm machine was there too just for exercice )

I erased for each VM player but i was not aware about this situation ,reel and virtual disk.

So, i do not have vmx and vmdk file for both VMplayer.

there is a solution, I know but the step to solve this is not famous problem  for many people   in the forum.

I did not have the philosophy of VMware because I am a novice.

How to find the right step to find and recover the file.

regards.

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

As already mentioned: immediatly power off the host - boot into a LiveCD and run recovery tools like GetDataback, Testdisk or whatever you have available.

If the vmdks were stored on your system drive and you are still actively using that drive your chances are not too good

0 Kudos
Lifeguard75016
Contributor
Contributor

thank i will try. what is 'boot into a LiveCD' ?

i am novice. I just use Vmware for project .

I will try but can you if possible just describe because I have Windows7 and i am novice.

regards and thank again

0 Kudos
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

your problem is not related at all to VMware.

You deleted several files and now you need to try various tools to get the files back.

Try GetDataBack NTFS or similar tools - google for "undelete NTFS"
You will find various free ware or paid tools

0 Kudos