VMware Communities
ClubVisit
Contributor
Contributor

Problem: Host Vista x64 - unable to open network mapping library

Hi folks,

I have a big problem after installing my Vista x64 Ultimate. All the drivers are Vista x64 drivers and installed correctly. After installing VMWare Workstation 6 (59824) on my system and using an existing Win XP Pro 32bit (Virtual Machine), all I get when I start the machine:

Unable to open network mapping library. Please verify host is set up correctly. Virtual device ethernet0 will start disconnected.

I don't know, why this comes up. The VM was created under Vista x86 Ultimate and worked perfectly with VMWare Server 2 beta.

Can anyone of you help me? Thx.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
LuHan
Contributor
Contributor

Had the same problem with XP 64bit.

Using my VM's within Server 2 Beta and returning to WKS 6, I had the same error.

Returning to the backup of these VM's was the only solution to make them work on WKS 6.

VM's created with Server 2 Beta had the same problem.

What you can learn about it ? Never touch any useable stuff when going into Betamode :smileygrin:

And another one : Don't touch Server 2 :smileycool: with critical data.

Solution : Restore your VM's.

Hope it can be of some help

0 Kudos
jensent1
Contributor
Contributor

I ran into the same problem after moving a VM from Workstation 6.02 to Server Beta 2. After comparing the files, it appears that Server adds a couple of extra lines that Workstation doesn't use. When these lines are added the error "unable to open network mapping library" is shown.

To correct the problem, simply remiove the 2 lines below from your VMX file

ethernet0.features = "1"

ethernet0.networkName = "Bridged"

I am pretty sure the real culprit is the "ethernet0.networkName = "Bridged""

0 Kudos
LuHan
Contributor
Contributor

Quote : "To correct the problem, simply remiove the 2 lines below from your VMX file"

Which I can confirm will solve the problem too. :smileyblush:

0 Kudos
roarinpenguin
Contributor
Contributor

I confirm same behavior and same solution onto a Windows Vista Enterprise 32-bit.

Thank you for documenting this.

RoarinPenguin

0 Kudos
_Z_
Contributor
Contributor

I used VMWare Server 2.0 to create Ubuntu VM out of ISO, and then got VMWare Player to start VMX file.

I was getting the error and followed instructions to remove those 2 extra lines.

Everything is workie now and thanks to everybody for help! I wish if I just understood better why. I think that server is actually writing the config file (bridged network type) - which is causing the problem, since the player just has the information already written to it. Once it tries to read the line (bridged) that's where it "blows up"... Dunno, just an opinion...

Good luck everyone!

Z

0 Kudos
mwilliams3535
Contributor
Contributor

Hey Guys,

Thanks for this post. I had a problem running Server 1.05 and Beta 2 on a Vista x64 host, so I installed Workstation 6 and imported the guest (XP SP2) from Server 1.05. When I launched the guest, the NIC is disconnected.

To resolve:

1. Shut down the guest

2. I removed the 2 previously mentioned lines from the .vmx file

3. Delete the NIC in the guest OS settings

4. Create a new NIC

5. Restart the guest

Hope this helps.

Thanks guys (and gals)!!!!

Matt...

0 Kudos
Schiri
Contributor