Only allowed one processor

Recently migrated my workstation environment to a new platform:

Dell M6500

- Intel Core i7 Quad

- 24 GB RAM

- 500 GB SSD for Datastore

- OpenSuse 12.3

VMware Workstation 9.0.2

I completed the installation and copied over my VMs from a similar platform (except Windows 7). After acknowledging I moved the VMs, I attempted to boot them. They all failed with a multiple CPU error. I went to edit the VMs and they came back with only the option to assign a single CPU and a Single core. With Hyperthreading I have 8 logical cores on one physical CPU. In Windows 7, I can assign a plethora of combinations for multiple CPUs and cores.

Has anyone seen this? Is there a reason i am forced to a single CPU/Core?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Is the VM's  Hardware compatibility set at Workstation 9.0? On my (Linux host) WS 9 system the choice for processors and cores for moved VM's prior to upgrading them to HC 9.0 was hardware processors only, no cores, and I could only select 1 or 2 processors (I have 2 quad core  Xeons in the system). After upgrading to HC 9.0, I can select up to 8 processors and 8 cores per processor (must be smoke and mirrors). 

This on a VM that was copied over from a Windows host. I think the VM's that were created on this system, prior to upgrade from WS 8.0 to 9.0, did not exhibit this but I don't remember.

Lou

0 Kudos
Dr_Virt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Lou,

Thank you. I tried to update the VM version as well as create new. At all points I could only assign a single CPU/core.

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Basic question (sorry):

If you run System Monitor, how many CPU's does it show? Mine shows 8 (2 quad core processors).

Lou

0 Kudos
Dr_Virt
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I found only one cpu everywhere - including Kinfo.

I then reviewed the Grub configuration and found ACPI disabled. I modified the Grub config by removing "acpi=off" and now we are good.

0 Kudos