VMware Communities
Faize
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

No support for Windows Server 2022 in Workstation 16.2?

Not only does Easy Install not recognize the ISO (it thinks it's Windows 10 N), I can't even manually select Windows Server 2022 as a guest OS option in the dropdown list.

I know the recently released Workstation 17.0 adds support for it, but our IT department hasn't approved it yet and, given the holidays, is unlikely to do so for some time. Was there truly no way to run a Windows Server 2022 VM in Workstation for more than a year following its release?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

Does it work in 16.2.5?

0 Kudos
louyo
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Works here in 16.2.4, told WS it was server 2019.

Oops, should add that I "installed it later". 16.2.5 still doesn't show a choice for 2022, only 2019. I think it recognized the iso as W10!

0 Kudos
Mits2020
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It happens that I successfully installed Server 2022 one hour ago on my Workstation v15.5.7. The trick is to not let Workstation detect what kind of OS the .iso contains, especially when that OS is not in the official "supported guest OS list".

Just set up the guest hardware manually (select Custom Installation and "I will install the OS later") and add the .iso as a virtual CD/DVD.

As type of guest select manually "Server 2019" or the last server edition listed on your VMWare version.

0 Kudos
KarlaAllen
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks, you made my day. You may find reviews for a range of online writing services that cater to diverse demands and academic levels at https://www.topwritersreview.com/reviews/custom-writing/ Whether you're a college student, a graduate student, or a working professional, you'll discover a website that meets your requirements.
0 Kudos