VMware Communities
ElFuego
Contributor
Contributor

Networking over VMware workstation

Hello All,

I'm a new user of VMware workstation and i appreciate if you can help me understand some points. I have installed my VMware 7.1.3 with Backtrack 4 R2 linux OS but i have few questions:

• Wireless interface:

When i executed the commands iwconfig and ifconfig i don't see my wireless interface (wlan0) for my embedded wireless card Intel Centrino Advanced 6200 AGN, can i know what is the problem? is there any possibility to show my wireless interface for my embedded wireless card (non-usb wireless card)?

• VPN connection over the host:

When i powered on my Virtual machine (Backtrack 4 R2), i started a VPN connection over the host (Windows XP) using IPsec but when i checked my IP address in the virtual machine it is still showing the original IP address not the one through the VPN connection. how can i transfer the new IP (over the VPN network of the host) to my virtual machine?

I'm using Bridged VMnet0 to my Wireless card.

Thanks in advance for your helpSmiley Happy.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

1. Wireless Interface

The virtual machines will only see virtual NICs. Theses virtual NICs are always presented as wired NICs. If you want to use the WLAN NIC for the VM, open the Virtual Network Editor on the host and select the WLAN adapter for the Bridged network.

2. VPN connection over the host

With bridged networking, your VM is connected to your router and does not really care about the network on the host. I'm not sure whether you will be able to use the host's VPN tunnel from within the VM if you configure NAT instead of Bridged networking for it. You'll need to try it.

André

0 Kudos