VMware Communities
pmthompson
Contributor
Contributor

Need suggestions for VMWare networking on Workstation 7 under Win7x64 host

I have Workstation 7.1.6 running under Win7 x64 on Dell laptop.  I run multiple Windows Server VMs (Server 2003 & 2008 R2 SP1 x86 & x64) simultaneously.  I need a networking configuration that will allow the following

Rqmt 1.  The VMs must communicate with each other by name or IP address.  The same IPs must be used no matter what lan the host is on (if any).  The applications running on the VMs are configured with the names or IP address of other VMs.  In some cases the applications on the VMs only work if they use IPs to refer to each other.  I don't want to have to reconfigure the applications because DHCP handed out different IP addresses, so static IPs are a requirement.

Rqmt 2.  The VMs might need to talk to the lan the host is on (if available).  I'm not sure if this is required, so I'm calling it a "nice to have".  I would also be nice to disable it, if necessary.

Rqmt 3.  The VMs must talk to the internet (if available).  The host may connect to the internet via wifi, wired or not at all.  The VMs must be able to communicate with each other (Rqmt 1) in any case.

Rqmt 4.  The IP addresses of the VMs must not conflict with the IPs on the local lan the host is on.  You should assume the local lan could be using any legal IP address subnet including the Class A, B, or C non-routable spaces (192.168.0.0/16, 172.16.0.0/12, 10.0.0.0/8).  I have no idea how to actualize this while still assigning usable static IPs.  Can I use the "TEST-NET-X" blocks for the VMs?  Yes,I know "...These blocks are not for local use..."

I'm guessing I want to use HOST-ONLY for Rqmt 1, but I don't know what static IPs to assign to avoiding conflicts with the client lans I could connect to.  I'm also guessing NAT would work for the other requirements, but will IP addresses be assigned if the host is not connected to any network (for example, on an airplane) and, if not, do I care?  The VMs should still be able to talk to each other if Rqmt 1 is met.

I've been experimenting by making changes to the two conf files vmnetdhcp and vmnetnat, but have only succeeded in horking things up.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I'd (strongly) suggest that you read Chapter 14, Configuring a Virtual Network, and Chapter 15, Advanced Virtual Networking, in VMware Workstation 7 User's Manual.

0 Kudos
digipeng
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I do agree with WoodyZ RTFM  (F being friendly)response, but I will give you some pointers that will have to be looked up.

Create a new custom VMnet( like VMnet2) Rqmt 1.

Set that VMnet to nat Rqmt 3

Remove dhcp from that VMnet Rqmt 1.

Assign guests to that VMnet.Rqmt 1,2,&3

Assign gateway,netmask,dns server addresses,ip addresses, to the VMnet's host adapter and guests Rqmt 1,2,&3

nat prevents the outside host network to communicate with the guests. Rqmt 4

0 Kudos
pmthompson
Contributor
Contributor

Thx all.  Trying to print chapters 14 & 15 and, wouldn't you know it, the laser printer is on a self-initiated "save the trees" strike  Smiley Wink

0 Kudos