Contributor

NAT and sub-networks

Hi everyone,

I'm currently running VMs of the following OSs

Win server 2003 Enterprise

Win XP SP3

Win server 2008 R2 Enterprise

Win 7 Pro

I know that we can only have one NAT network under the virtual network editor, but I'd like to know if its possible to create sub-networks of the NAT. For example, I have a NAT with 10.10.0.0 as the IP. What I'd like to know, is how I can create this type of config, if possible.

Network one:

Subnet: 10.10.1.0

Gateway: 10.10.1.1

Win server 2003 (10.10.1.2)

Win XP SP3 (10.10.1.3)

Network two:

Subnet: 10.10.2.0

Gateway: 10.10.2.1

Win server 2008 R2 (10.10.2.2)

Win 7 Pro (10.10.2.3)

Of course, XP and 7 would connect and login to the server associated, but I've tried looking everyone on the VMware site, YouTube, and other places, and I've also played with the settings on the virtual network editor, but nothing could answer my question. Basically, I'm trying to create 2 networks based on the one NAT address. Of course, I want them to all have access to the net.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

3 Replies
mrgq1111
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone? :smileyplain:

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Suggest you read the Documentation!  Especially chapter 5 "Configuring Network Connections" in Using VMware Workstation (PDF) and specifically DHCP Conventions for Assigning IP Addresses in Host-Only and NAT Networks and Understanding DHCP in a NAT Configuration.

Then to use different Subnets use Host-Only as you can have many and then also use the Server VM with a NAT Adapter to provide Internet Access to all the VM's.

mrgq1111
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you very much I appreciate it. I'll do the readings and see what i can find/achieve

0 Kudos